Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

SS gebirgsjager officer cap

Article about: BENvk...what other forum would that be??...

Default Re: SS gebirgsjager officer cap

The Bundeswehr never used such textiles in the cap covers of its peaked caps. It could be a police cap, but I am not sure, either.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS gebirgsjager officer cap
    P
    Many

?

Not sure what you mean FB. It's a trikot weave and for sure it was used by the Bundeswehr. If we are talking about the shade of feldgrau, that's different.

Quote by BenVK View Post
    Not sure what you mean FB. It's a trikot weave and for sure it was used by the Bundeswehr. If we are talking about the shade of feldgrau, that's different.
    I mean field grey as Grundfarbe. Bw uniforms were either a very dark slate grey, or beginning in the course of the 1970s a lighter cloud grey, a color they retain. Naturally the Bw used trikot, too, but I meant the color. There was much thought given to the new uniform, and it was to avoid the old in a fundamental way. The BGS uniform was more in line with field grey or police greeen as used prior. When the blue uniform was phased out in favor of the field grey uniform around a century ago, such was also cause for a great outcry. In any case, Bw caps are either dark grey or light grey, and I do not have time to append pictures of same.

This here is a green grey that looks grey, and is part of the endless variety of field grey. Maybe it really is earth grey, but I think not.SS gebirgsjager officer cap

This cap above has been sold, by the way.... it caused a Schreierei on the other website, as did two black SS Dienstroecke.
    No collecting without the Greek chorus nowadays.

?

What's being said on the other forum is a constant source of bewilderment. I'm truly glad I left, it's only when you step back from such things that you realise how nonsensical it all was....

I agree with you about the feldgrau subtitles and how they should correspond to known examples of definite periods but it's not always the case in my experience. The borderlines are vague and early post war caps can be easily misstaken for wartime examples. Such subtleties makes this hobby such a challenge and not for the faint of heart.

Here is such an example. Not of trikot cloth but you get the picture. Also alongside the regular shade of Bundeswehr cap cloth.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS gebirgsjager officer cap   SS gebirgsjager officer cap  

?

It's interesting to note that the more bottle green shade of the Bundeswehr resembles the same of the 1916 Imperial mutzen highlighted in the other thread recently.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS gebirgsjager officer cap  

?

All such observations are no doubt a snooze fest for most people when the only consideration is whether it is real and how much it is worth!

Out of all the Bundesarchiv photos I've spent hours searching through, this is one of my favourites. Look at the date.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS gebirgsjager officer cap  

?

1946. Surely a lot if not all these caps and uniforms were of wartime manufacture. I'm straying off the subject but this is the period that no one wants to discuss because it throws up so many questions and unknowns. I'm completely in love with the young lady on the far left who is trying not to laugh! Assuming these are black uniforms, how many of these caps are now in collections and assumed to be period Pz M43's?

Quote by BenVK View Post
    What's being said on the other forum is a constant source of bewilderment. I'm truly glad I left, it's only when you step back from such things that you realise how nonsensical it all was....

I agree with you about the feldgrau subtitles and how they should correspond to known examples of definite periods but it's not always the case in my experience. The borderlines are vague and early post war caps can be easily misstaken for wartime examples. Such subtleties makes this hobby such a challenge and not for the faint of heart.

Here is such an example. Not of trikot cloth but you get the picture. Also alongside the regular shade of Bundeswehr cap cloth.
    Ben, the caps you illustrate are either Bundesgrenzschutz, or police of a period until the 1970s. The Bw wore uniforms in the color I show here.SS gebirgsjager officer capSS gebirgsjager officer capSS gebirgsjager officer cap

The group picture is of the uniforms of all services ca. 1956, with the dark grey of the army, which by the end of the 1970s became the light color seen in the Pioniere uniform I enclose here. There is also an advert for a military tailor, in which the darker color is on offer again. The camouflage uniforms of the Bw army were quite similar to older patterns, but I am not a camouflage person. I have more than thirty five years personal experience with these people.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast