Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

SS Grouping from recent auction

Article about: I'm really shocked this grouping hasn't been discussed here. I personally like all the items and believe they're all original and SS. That said, I do have some concerns, such as did this gro

I have not.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Grouping from recent auction
    P
    Many

This is on klaus Butchek's site I believe

Nick

Edit* sorry just seen the link to his site on post 1

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

I dont think they were originally in the auction as they appeared later than the other items

Supposedly they were discovered all together in the family's home. I believe they were the one of the last times added to the auction list.

One thing to do, however hopeless, is to see if the three caps are the same size, i.e. 56 cms.

The caps are more or less 56 or 56 1/2 cms.

The measurements of each tunic would be helpful too. I would imagine finding three tunics all having signs of SS wear and roughly the same width, length, etc. would be no easy task.

Seeing the collar is green and not actually black does that change anything? It's certainly an interesting tunic I've become fascinated with, would love to have it in hand.

It still does not follow any pattern of SS tunic I am aware of.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Thank you very much Bob for your expert reply. It's described, as I'm sure you're aware of, as a SS-VT style field tunic. My expertise and experience are very limited and I don't feel I know enough to judge such a thing, but I do like many aspects. The indentations of the insignia appear very old and correct from the images. His file also suggest such a tunic would be quite possible. That said, my opinion is pretty much useless. It would be very nice to hear David's opinion too in this case as he too is well respected in this field.
    It's not textbook by any stretch, but then again, many of SS items aren't and still original to the Thrid Reich period. One other aspect I've considered is that everything in the grouping is original to the period. Therefore, IMO this is either a piece that was thrown into a false grouping or a one-of-a-kind original example.
    I would hate to rule this out if original and would love to learn something here as I've never come across anything like this before. Certainly a tunic worthy of further examination I would think.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast