Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SS Gruppe West tinnie

Article about: I believe the tinnie is authentic. William Kramer

ado
    ?

Default SS Gruppe West tinnie

Just found posted for sale, seller claims original SS day badge 1933?
    your opinion, please

Thank you

Ado
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Gruppe West tinnie  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Gruppe West tinnie
    P
    Many

Default Re: SS Gruppe West tinnie

Does it have any maker marks?

sorry but this is a fake and you can buy them for a 10er, i know a real one of them and on a real one are the runes not different and not out of shape, as all of them are makers markd

SS items are very complicated, its very hard to find a genuine one.
    Thats why i do not collect them.
    Cheers.
    Nuno

ado
    ?

I don't see any maker mark on this badge, the skull looked different to me from the fake ones we see out there, what do they mark them with "ges gesch"?

Quote by ado View Post
    I don't see any maker mark on this badge, the skull looked different to me from the fake ones we see out there, what do they mark them with "ges gesch"?
    the one i know was markd hofstätter bonn or something

Default SS Gruppe West event pin

In my opinion, the SS event badge shown is a well known fake.

Two quick indicators as:-

(1)
    fake has impressively crisp detail as opposed to the original which is much less so

(2)
    fake has the right hand side rune tip just hovering on the skulls crown, whilst the original displays the same rune tip, just behind the skull

Comparison images attached. Original on the left hand side.

Regards,

David

?

Quote by klinger View Post
    sorry but this is a fake and you can buy them for a 10er, i know a real one of them and on a real one are the runes not different and not out of shape, as all of them are makers markd
    This is definitely not my area of expertise or collecting, but the badge looked pretty genuine to me, so I referred it to a collector who has a very large collection of tinnies. He said it looked real to him and that the SS runes in genuine examples are offset. He also said it had the correct ageing appearance, the detail was such that one does not find in fakes and the faults are correct for an authentic tinnie from 1933. Far be it from me to agree or disagree as I do not have the knowledge, but I thought the piece just looked old and too detailed with the odd fault for a fake. I think it resembles the original shown by David more than the fake next to it. It goes to show what a minefield collecting is nowadays. Over to the experts.
    Woske.

I have managed to find a larger and more detailed image of the originally posted SS event pin and possibly, I have made a horrible mistake by my opinion. At the back of my mind is someone once mentioning that there are at least 2 slight variation designs of the original. I think we may have the full set here ! Two variant originals and the well known fake.

Apologies to the forum.

Regards,

David

Default SS Gruppe West

Having had a closer look at a larger image of the subject SS event pin, it is quite different in some respects to the known fake.

As such, I agree with Woske insofar as this SS event pin appears to be genuine !

Regards,

David

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast