Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

ss hat

Article about: I'm planning a trip to Germany next year. Although I envision myself romping about, I suspect I will be stumbling and cowering in the shadows. My inxeperience with Europe, the currency, and

Default Re: ss hat

FB has made an enlightened observation. too many of the new gurus of 3rd Reich collectables have failed to first study the little things that comprise the whole. Some have attained a level of messianic reverence in the on-line gossip pits. I will always prefer fact over theory.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement ss hat
    P
    Many

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    FB has made an enlightened observation. too many of the new gurus of 3rd Reich collectables have failed to first study the little things that comprise the whole. Some have attained a level of messianic reverence in the on-line gossip pits. I will always prefer fact over theory.
    Thanks. The modern world make such study more than difficult, because of the seduction of instant gratification through the internet. To be sure, there is a treasure of information and knowledge to be found, put there by a handful of us, which is misleading to a beginner. The beginner does not see what went before, submerged like the iceberg. The on line gossip pit represents the shadow side of all of this. The internet promotes group think and empowers bullies and ranters.

In contrast, my Hempe book makes two points clear to me: firstly if one is not trained in the geometry of measuring and then cutting fabric, then it is impossible to make a good fake cap; secondly, I wonder how many of the sewing machines especially designed and equipped for cap making in 1935 Germany exist today and are at hand for the fakers? I imagine not very many, but I am sure I would be surprised. But the more I read this book, the more these two strategic aspects are central: a.) the craft of construction the templates and patterns based on geometry and b.) the machinery with its particular character that was an integral to these pieces of headwear as the textiles.

Our gossip pit gurus have never mentioned these two aspects, as near as I can recall.....?

Here is the attachment of the Seitenhaken...not on a cap, but to illustrate my point...
    Attached Images Attached Images ss hat 

or this...

notice details... see bottom of page here..... I got an abysmal grade in geometry, of course, so what I write hardly applies to me. But such applied to someone with great training, which is not the common property of many in the present.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ss hat  

Another piece of colorit....These are the Schablonen or patterns, which in the case of caps have their geometrical aspect.

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    Another piece of colorit....These are the Schablonen or patterns, which in the case of caps have their geometrical aspect.
    Peek & Cloppenburg....I wonder what happened to all their business records from 1933-45? Probably sitting in a landfill somewhere.....

Quote by stonemint View Post
    Peek & Cloppenburg....I wonder what happened to all their business records from 1933-45? Probably sitting in a landfill somewhere.....
    If anything, the Peek & Cloppenburg company records were likely destroyed during the war. The firm itself is thriving and vibrant, but they surely do not today sell military regalia. Deschler is still in business in Munich, as are some others of these firms. The issue is more likely that the records were lost in the war as thrown out. Germans tend not to throw away records as is done in the US.

There is some prospect in the year to come that I can spend a reasonable amount of time in central Europe, whereupon I promise my readers that I shall at last chase down some of my own hunches.

But I include these images to illustrate my points about the key points in this Hempe book (published in March 1935), which was a Nazified version of an older text created for furriers and the head wear trade. Many of our readers here have likely never seen the Peek and Cloppenburg wartime book on uniform making, whence these color images have come.

Happy headwear to all.

Postscriptum: in addition to my other failings, I am a trained archivist (my registers of collections are even today on the internet....things I did in the 1970s and had forgotten...) and the cardinal issue here is what happened to the files of the RZM itself? It was a large organization, but there does not seem to be evidence that its files made it through the abyss. Or, what is more likely, no one has looked seriously. What is significant, though, is that through Google book there is much evidence of the RZM in Nazi era books that are partially on line. Such was not the case a few years ago. Look for yourself to see what I mean here. But said files in their bulk do not appear to exist. They do exist for the SS Wirtschafts- und Verwaltungshauptamt. I found the order for the SS cap eagle of 1935, which is referred to as 1936...

?

FB, it must be exhausting to a knowledgable master collector like yourself to have to deal with us plebs. I do appreciate your bountiful photographs and poetic posts. I do agree that this forum is more behaved than most. I have avoided other forums due to the overbearing malcontents who feel it is their place to insult those of us who know less of the subject matter. I for one avoid the SS regalia because I don't have time to immerse myself so deeply in order to simply purchase a cap. I am content with my common infantry & luftwaffe caps. I have since disposed of all my Latvian fakes and other garbage in pursuit of authentic headgear. Thank you & Happy headwear

Quote by Aldo View Post
    FB, it must be exhausting to a knowledgable master collector like yourself to have to deal with us plebs. I do appreciate your bountiful photographs and poetic posts. I do agree that this forum is more behaved than most. I have avoided other forums due to the overbearing malcontents who feel it is their place to insult those of us who know less of the subject matter. I for one avoid the SS regalia because I don't have time to immerse myself so deeply in order to simply purchase a cap. I am content with my common infantry & luftwaffe caps. I have since disposed of all my Latvian fakes and other garbage in pursuit of authentic headgear. Thank you & Happy headwear
    Dear Aldo, I am refugee from two other fora that became filled with the hatred and vitriol that, in general, suffocate public life in certain nation states. I surely hope I have not insulted you, and I apologize if I have done so. In the beginning of the decade we had on the daggers site a critical mass of nice people, who made informative posts, and who brought a lot of knowledge to the fore.

My profession is to teach history, so this site is an extension of what I do normally. Though, my subject is somewhat different from these topics, it was my interest in the regalia that made me become a professional historian. There is surely no harm with learning, and my goal is to foster my own learning and that of others, without creating an atmosphere of mistrust where knowledge is impossible because of fear. I am in international working groups devoted to executive education in matters of public policy (which I shall not describe any further here...) where I have to think a lot about how people learn in various ways. This brave new world of the internet has much merit to it, but it has also empowered a lot of bad behavior, which, in the end, has harmed me personally and my collection, which represents a considerable investment.

You should be very proud of your army and air force caps. I still own several army caps, and think them every bit as nice as SS caps. I just specialized in SS caps for some silly reason, mainly in being forced to sell off the army caps to buy SS caps.

But I surely do not mind sharing what I know or learning in turn from what you describe as a novice. What I cannot stand are know it all bullies and people who also consciously propagate false knowledge as some infallible truth and then do huge damage to all.

The image below is the feudal order of society in estates in the middle ages...something I do teach about. There is head wear in said attachment.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ss hat  

and I do teach about this..too...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast