Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

ss hat

Article about: I'm planning a trip to Germany next year. Although I envision myself romping about, I suspect I will be stumbling and cowering in the shadows. My inxeperience with Europe, the currency, and

Default Re: ss hat

Quote by Aldo View Post
    BF, thanks for the offer to help and the insight into collecting. The fake "sculls" threads annoy me as well even though I couldn't tell a real one from a fake cast. The only reason I have participated in this forum was because of Adrian's response to my first post about a fallschirmjager badge I believed to be 100% authentic. Adrian as well as others took the time to point out all the flaws without being nasty or condescending. I then decided to become a member and try to learn as much as possible.
    I do have one question regarding a word you used on cap thread I posted. You mentioned "Paspelisierung" as being the one of the keys to the recognition of fakes. does that refer to the piping or the shape of the peak ? Thanks, Al.
    Dear Aldo, Paspelisierung means the piping, which the Hempe books refers to as Paspel and Vorstoss as two different things. This distinction I have yet to figure out, since I thought they were the same. But Paspelisierung is the craft of creating and attaching the piping to the crown and Muetzenbesatz.

But the point is the crown piping in fakes is in 99.9% cases always botched for the reasons the Hempe book describes, in fact. The book goes into great detail how crucial is the rendering of the piping to the shape (Form) of a cap. In order to get the cap cover, and super structure of the cap to fit properly, the sit and fit of the piping in the construction of the cap top and the four side pieces is crucial. This aspect seems never to be done properly, especially with the metallic piped caps. Paspelisieruing is take from Pasipoil in French, I think.

I do not have a scanner, or I would post the pages from my cap making book for you to read. It is not especially clear in the German.....

but look at this cap, and its crown piping.... If the piping and the superstructure of the cap are mis constructed, especially through the mis measurement of the five pieces of textile that constitute the cap cover, then the crown is misshapen, too...what you call the "peak"----which is the visor in UK usage. This herewith is a Mueller cap with a perfect sattel shape, which is constituted of a steel watch spring "Reifen" sewn into the crown as well as an extra cap wire, as well as the structure which constitutes the front of the crown made from metal, textiles, and other organic materials. The issue is make the piping regular and in the round, without waviness, bunchings up &c.

I am just sick of looking at two hundred posts a week of the same three or four fake caps "sculls...."
    Attached Images Attached Images ss hat 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement ss hat
    P
    Many

Also, I have the highest regard for Adrian Stevenson and Dimas for their stewardship of this site. I would not have staggered over here, bloodied from the whipping at other fora, had they not asked me. And same goes for Bob Coleman, too, whom I esteem with equal pleasure.

Our goal here is more knowledge and better answers to things that defy easy generalization. I am seized by the potential that we all learn from one another, and am deeply grateful to many who have shared without stint from their considerable knowledge. And, in turn, I take pity and otherwise scorn those who are the enemies of this process, and who pose as bearers of knowledge, when they are not; or who use this medium to work out some flaw of character and intellect that befall them in their every day hum drum existence. Thanks to my colleagues for your insights and reflections.

?

It's us who should be thanking you FB. Your contribition to the pursuit of enlightening us all is second to none in my book.

Quote by BenVK View Post
    It's us who should be thanking you FB. Your contribition to the pursuit of enlightening us all is second to none in my book.

Dear Ben, thanks. I have not done much, really, and you are too kind. If anything, I have savagely inflicted my pompous English on the innocent, unseen and unheralded as you all are crouched behind your screens, beset by fake cap "sculls" as well as the too great forehead pressure imposed on us all by fake eReL caps in their hundreds, thousands and maybe millions. I think of them being not unlike the chains worn by Scrooge, these fake caps with too much forehead pressure, or other violations of the German patent office, that appear from our computer screens or tumble out of Fex Ex boxes like the fruit of the guillotine during the Great Terror in 1793. Or maybe they are like those repugnant, over sized items of infernal vegetable pods in the 1956 film: The Invasion of the Body Snatchers, actually.

I am justly proud to have secured this mundane book by Hempe, but I surely wish I actually knew what the author was saying more than half of the time.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ss hat  

or this....
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ss hat  

?

">" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="344">
    Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    Dear Aldo, Paspelisierung means the piping, which the Hempe books refers to as Paspel and Vorstoss as two different things. This distinction I have yet to figure out, since I thought they were the same. But Paspelisierung is the craft of creating and attaching the piping to the crown and Muetzenbesatz.

But the point is the crown piping in fakes is in 99.9% cases always botched for the reasons the Hempe book describes, in fact. The book goes into great detail how crucial is the rendering of the piping to the shape (Form) of a cap. In order to get the cap cover, and super structure of the cap to fit properly, the sit and fit of the piping in the construction of the cap top and the four side pieces is crucial. This aspect seems never to be done properly, especially with the metallic piped caps. Paspelisieruing is take from Pasipoil in French, I think.

I do not have a scanner, or I would post the pages from my cap making book for you to read. It is not especially clear in the German.....

but look at this cap, and its crown piping.... If the piping and the superstructure of the cap are mis constructed, especially through the mis measurement of the five pieces of textile that constitute the cap cover, then the crown is misshapen, too...what you call the "peak"----which is the visor in UK usage. This herewith is a Mueller cap with a perfect sattel shape, which is constituted of a steel watch spring "Reifen" sewn into the crown as well as an extra cap wire, as well as the structure which constitutes the front of the crown made from metal, textiles, and other organic materials. The issue is make the piping regular and in the round, without waviness, bunchings up &c.

I am just sick of looking at two hundred posts a week of the same three or four fake caps "sculls...."
    FB, thank you for the insight into the details of cap construction, you are the master of foetid woolens. It was an educated guess on my part that it referred to the piping. I recently purchased a nice Pekuro infantry cap simply because I loved the beautiful lines and contours. Thanks in part to your posts. In contrast i recently sold the Latvian "thingy" as you referred to in another thread on ebay to a Japanese collector. Although I made it clear that it was a latvian fake, I no doubt believe that he either he feels it was authentic and he pulled the wool over my eyes or he will resell it as an authentic to another unwary buyer. I am hunmbled by your knowledege and willingness to share.
    P.S. If I have been heavily drinking this afternoon so if my post seems odd, just ignore it and chalk it up to over indulgence in libations. Thank you, Al.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ss hat   ss hat  

ss hat   ss hat  

ss hat  

?

Quote by BenVK View Post
    Unfortunately, most web forums are a breeding ground for the argumentative, the rude, the ranters and the egotistical. It's not limited to our hobby believe me. The worst online behaviour I've ever encountered is on a classic car owners forum of all places. The amount of personnal attacks and insults is quite unbelievable. Makes the WAF look like a haven of the heavenly pure in comparrison.

This forum is a pleasure to visit in comparrison to all the rest. It's just a shame that we don't get more traffic. The appeal of the WAF is the shear volume of posts (when the site is actualy working that is!) That and the fact that I'm sure that a lot of people rather enjoy reading the mud slinging. It's that same mentality that makes people slow down on the motorway to have a good look a the car crash up ahead I suppose.

A few certain characters on the WAF have been guilty of overstepping the mark lately (myself included and I not too proud to admit that) but the Lubstein reference confirms who the other is that I think FB is referring to. All I can say is that I know personnaly that that person regrets acting in such a manner recently and that the advice given to him was that he doesn't have to go prove himself to everyone all the time no matter if it's in his fiery nature to do so.

The most exasperating part of this hobby is trying to help others who don't want to be helped. I've forgotten how many times I've advised someone in good faith that whatever they have bought is not the gem that they think it is only to have that advise ridiculed and shoved back in my face. That tends to generate a feeling of apathy towards unfamilar members so that circle of trust and interest starts to close around the people that you know and have known for years, even if you've never met them. This is starting to become my attitude after only a few years collecting. The same feeling must be tremendously magnified with guys who have been involved in this for decades. It's only natural.

A good example of what I'm taking about happened to me recently. Out of the blue, I get an email from someone asking if a particular visor cap was "good or bad". I responded as I always try to do and then recieved emails very day for a week with the same questions about everything from caps to tunics to medals. Not once did that person introduce himself or offer any personnal information or ask the same of me. I was just a free appraisal service for him and that became unacceptable to me so I blocked his emails.

To some extent, I think that's why certain forum members start to become a little bit frazzled and start doubting if all the accolades of being respected in your chosen area of study is worth all the hassle that comes with it. Don't get me wrong, it's very nice to be considered knowledgeable enough to solicit requests for your opinion from complete strangers but it can become very tiring also so IMO, it's not a big surprise when certain collectors start to get a bit snappy and rude.

Just my thoughts in black and white, sorry for the long post.
    BenVK, I know exactly what you are referring to. My other hobbby is 1/6 scale customizing. I customiize 1/6 scale WWII figures and sell figures & parts on ebay. As I have been doing this for more than 10 years, I consider myself an expert in recognizing parts form different figures and what they are worth. Due to the success of my sales i often get inquiries to identify parts and their values. I recently was contacted by an individual who befriended me and asked for my help. Within a few days it felt as we were best of Friends. He was planning our trip to Europe and spilling his guts to me. After several weeks of me supplying information to him, I noticed that the emails were getting shorter. Just requesting me to ID parts with nothing else. Needless to say I feel used, on the upside however he is the one that got me interested in collecting real militaria again. Don't mind me, I have been drinking heavily this afternnoon, so if this post is shyte, just disregard it. Al.

Thanks, Aldo, and congratulations on your Kupper cap. I had an army infantry one of similar vintage, and it had an enormous cap cover and high crown like yours. The Latvian stinkers are legion, and like herpes, it is hard to stamp them out.

Thanks for your kind words. I have only had tea, in fact, but I salute your health from afar.

Soon I am off to the Reich and I shall toast you and the proper Paspelisierung. I shall pass by the former locale of Lubstein (I always do, and never stop there to divine the ghosts...) as well as many other sites which today have nothing to do with our interests.

Happy piping, Paspel, Vorstoss and head wear generally.

?

I envy your ability to romp into the reich at will. I would love to frolic among the ghosts of years past in Deutschland, without mentioning the dreaded 12 year reich of course

Quote by Aldo View Post
    I envy your ability to romp into the reich at will. I would love to frolic among the ghosts of years past in Deutschland, without mentioning the dreaded 12 year reich of course

I seldom romp, more I stumble or stagger around. If the rental car is correct, then I can drive to keep up with some of the traffic. Jet lag and old age make for little high jinx. I am always interested in the III. Reich, but one cannot discuss it as in the US. You have to respect customs, surely.

The best thing is to take the train. The trains are fast, and the panorama windows allow you to look out and day dream in a way that is less possible in a plane, or while driving. The latter takes maximum concentration, and nowadays it is hard to go as fast as in the old days, of my youth....

Happy romps to all seekers of headwear.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast