Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

ss hat

Article about: I'm planning a trip to Germany next year. Although I envision myself romping about, I suspect I will be stumbling and cowering in the shadows. My inxeperience with Europe, the currency, and

?

Default Re: ss hat

I'm planning a trip to Germany next year. Although I envision myself romping about, I suspect I will be stumbling and cowering in the shadows. My inxeperience with Europe, the currency, and the language will no doubt hamper my efforts to explore what really interests me. Instead I will undoubtedly act like every other tourist amd pretend to marvel at whatever my wife takes me to while I dream of headwear from years past. Reality is a bitch.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement ss hat
    P
    Many

Quote by Aldo View Post
    I'm planning a trip to Germany next year. Although I envision myself romping about, I suspect I will be stumbling and cowering in the shadows. My inxeperience with Europe, the currency, and the language will no doubt hamper my efforts to explore what really interests me. Instead I will undoubtedly act like every other tourist amd pretend to marvel at whatever my wife takes me to while I dream of headwear from years past. Reality is a bitch.

Germany is a friendly, well organized country, where in most places people speak English and getting around is surely easier than where I live. The language thing for Americans is not especially difficult; the dollar has actually gone up a bit, but it is expensive surely---but you get more value for many things than you do where I live, where (as my moniker proclaims...) things are extremely expensive. You surely cannot go into a store and ask if they sold Nazi regalia in the past, since such a thing is likely to get you knocked on the head or ignored to death. There are many excellent museums that deal with German history in Berlin, Munich and Nuremberg and many other places. Open collecting of Nazi regalia is not forbidden, per se, but it is surely not an open activity, to which I do not here solicit readers opinions on this score, who have no experience of life in central Europe. Such is a fact, and this fact has reasons that may not please some. The situation is much more draconian in Austria, in fact.

But Germany is a wonderful place, I have many friends and associates there and feel just as much as home there as in my native city, which in many ways (though known for tourism) is less hospitable than Germany.

My staggering derives from being old, more likely to be fragged by jet lag, and otherwise in a haze because I feel I belong neither in the place of my birth, nor in the place below. But Berlin has become really like home to me, as it is a friendly, relaxed place, somewhat rough around the edges sometimes, but also without pretense and false glitter as befalls my native state of the union.

schoene Reise.
    Attached Images Attached Images ss hat 

This thread, which began with the discussion of a fake SS cap, for me has been the start of a new era in the study and collecting of 3rd Reich visor caps. As I have been in collecting since shortly after the end of the war, I have divided the era as follows:

Phase I
    1945-early 1990's
    There was not a need for in depth study of caps and the manner in which they were manufactured. Fakes, on a whole, were very amateurish. There were a series of of decent fake political organization visor caps mae in the mid 80's. There was not a great amount of study required to spot these fakes, many of which still appear on the sites of many German and some dealers from other countries.

Phase II
    early 1990's to August 2009

The Rise of the Internet

As international communication rapidly advanced, so did the demand for all forms of collectables. Prices began to soar enabling the fakers to spend a little more time and money in to the production of their product. Careful study was no required to teol the difference between outright fakes, caps assembled from original parts and enhanced with fake parts and totally original hats.
    At the same time, we saw the rise of the Internet Forum,. In the begining, many established collectors participated adding their years of experience. As the two leading Forums fell in to anarchy, we began to see the rise of the false prophet. Individual's
    opinions were accepted because of who they were more than what the basis of their knowledge was. Many false claims have been made and gone unchallenged in the past few years.

Phase III
    August 2009-?

We see the begining of a Renaissance in study based upon fact from the handbook of a period manufacturer of hats. For this, we must always be indebted to the intellectual energies of our treasured member FB.
    Let us continue for this site to be a beacon of truth and fact based knowledge in a foggy sea of disinformation. Always beware of the false prophet.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Dear Friend, I am much taken with your periodization, and with my Hempe book, which we owe to some woman in Vreden, Westfalen who did not throw same away, as likely happened to the other copies of this book from 1935. Your eras make a lot of sense, but I argued years ago on the daggers site, where we all met at first, how this enterprise needed the documentary sources. It still does. The book is a small step in the first direction, but it is also not a revolution other than to make obvious what any reflective soul could determine themselves with careful analysis. The impact of the internet is profound, for without it, I would not have found said book. It is really between the lines that the most revealing things emerge, in fact. Once more, as I have not done a nearly decade long apprenticeship in head wear crafts, I cannot decipher all the directions, which for a person with his Meister's Brief are clear as day, but not for you and me...

Thanks for the nice essay. It is a better use of our time than the survey of fake cap badges, or....."sculls..."

Mr. C. Stonemint has observed that all of this is a lost art, and looking at these accidentally preserved bits of our strange preoccupation, such is overwhelmingly true to me. One has only to look at the wonderful, precise script that this woman put her name in the front cover to sense how lost all of this truly is. No doubt, somewhere in West Germany, the heirs of this woman live happily, pursuing 21st century lives far removed from the handicrafts.

So, when the internet ranters and fear mongers preach the cascade of doom and end of time with the swarm of head wear pressure free monstrosities, I must yawn....really.

From the time of Sputnik forward I have lived with cries of the sky is falling, and now it is falling full of Lubstein terrors, somehow affiliated with al Qaeda and maybe the people who have put flouride in the water. The pressure on my fore head is unbearable.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ss hat  

F-B, not many wartime pics of the Mutzenmacher shops, but here is a small one conveniently located right across from an NSDAP Kreishaus (in Austria, if I recall right):

Quote by stonemint View Post
    F-B, not many wartime pics of the Mutzenmacher shops, but here is a small one conveniently located right across from an NSDAP Kreishaus (in Austria, if I recall right):
    Very nice. Thank you. We need ones with the sign like this here so attached. (image purloined from the Whamond site, I think... but purloined all the same...)

I actually own one of these signs, but mine is not as good. It does not have the Hoheitszeichen, and it is somewhat worse for wear.

It came from Wittenberg in Sachsen-Anhalt.

The key is to secure the knowledge of those who worked in said places, be they still alive, which is possible, as many of these people were young women.

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    Dear Aldo, Paspelisierung means the piping, which the Hempe books refers to as Paspel and Vorstoss as two different things. This distinction I have yet to figure out, since I thought they were the same. But Paspelisierung is the craft of creating and attaching the piping to the crown and Muetzenbesatz.

But the point is the crown piping in fakes is in 99.9% cases always botched for the reasons the Hempe book describes, in fact. The book goes into great detail how crucial is the rendering of the piping to the shape (Form) of a cap. In order to get the cap cover, and super structure of the cap to fit properly, the sit and fit of the piping in the construction of the cap top and the four side pieces is crucial. This aspect seems never to be done properly, especially with the metallic piped caps. Paspelisieruing is take from Pasipoil in French, I think.

I do not have a scanner, or I would post the pages from my cap making book for you to read. It is not especially clear in the German.....

but look at this cap, and its crown piping.... If the piping and the superstructure of the cap are mis constructed, especially through the mis measurement of the five pieces of textile that constitute the cap cover, then the crown is misshapen, too...what you call the "peak"----which is the visor in UK usage. This herewith is a Mueller cap with a perfect sattel shape, which is constituted of a steel watch spring "Reifen" sewn into the crown as well as an extra cap wire, as well as the structure which constitutes the front of the crown made from metal, textiles, and other organic materials. The issue is make the piping regular and in the round, without waviness, bunchings up &c.

I am just sick of looking at two hundred posts a week of the same three or four fake caps "sculls...."
    F-B makes a good point here. Most fakers cannot replicate what I call the "thick brim"--ie, that the welt on either side of the piping is equal, and centered perfectly. The red-piped one on the left is an Erel, the one on the right is a Mueller super-fake--it has what I call the "thin brim", ie, there is no welt south of the piping, and it just drops off like a cliff. Note that the wool on the welt of the Erel is almost fish-hook shaped--time consuming to say the least (not to mention a practiced eye and hand):

Now, I want to be perfectly clear here--the majority of TR visors have the "thin brim" (I am including civil here) so a thin-brim is NOT an indicator of originality in and of itself. Even Erel, late in the war, went to the thin-brim look.

Here is an early-war Teno by Clemens Wagner which also has a thick-brim (this one is almost over-emphasized because of a missing cap spring):

?

An excellent thread.

BenVK I agree, I was part of an automotive forum (it being my business and all...) in the old Compuserve days and swore off fora, it got downright nasty.

Thanks Mr. Chris Stonemint for your intervention. The fakers do not know the proper measure of padding or whatever ("watte" "gaze" as it is called in Hempe) that resulted in the proper appearance. But the matter of the cutting of the cloth itself, and your point are all quite germane. Or, as Bob Coleman will remind us, they over stuff the caps to fault, such that one's neck would buckle.

In any case, I do not think we do ourselves a favor in our reflections in public. I do not have the time to translate this book of mine, nor can I claim to understand it all. But such things as Hempe are essential as the other pillar upon which to rest our judgment. One pillar consists of the empirical, the observed traits of the existing relics. The other, and here to fore, the under developed pillar is the art, craft, etc. of the craftsman or craftswoman or artisan themselves.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5