Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

SS Hats - A study of period photos

Article about: by talltom bottom picture on no.4 anyone noticed the shirt he is wearing isn't a plain one (odd) any extra info tom Simply wartime shortages. Plus some guys will always try and be different.

?

Default Re: SS Hats - A study of period photos

Very interesting, piping on his camo cap?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Hats - A study of period photos  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Hats - A study of period photos
    P
    Many

?

Quote by BenVK View Post
    I've been thinking recently that it would be of benefit to construct a thread showing SS soft headgear via the medium of period photos.

The aim is to educate novice collectors in the basics of hat and insignia designs as well as being a resource for all levels of knowledge.

There really is no better educational tool than to study period photos. Also, they often proove that the rule book was thrown out of the window.

Let's start. All the images I post here have been posted before on the web so I don't think I'm falling foul of any copyright issues. If I am, please let me know.

Feel free to add images that you feel are of relevance but please choose the nice clear shots that show some detail.
    Great idea Ben it's nice to see period photos of headgear in wear !! I love that photo of Der Fuhrer Deutsche Kreuz in Gold Winner Oskar Wolkserstorfer
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

It could well be Ben, Another 'Not for my collection' type hats...But as far as I know these guys were only detailed into the camp a few weeks previous as all the other guards legged it and all the uniforms look very new so maybe issued from stores...? Who knows...
    Quote by BenVK View Post
    Very interesting, piping on his camo cap?

?

This is what the thread is all about.

But also, there are "regulation" uniforms and hats that need to be shown for the benefit of members who seem to have no idea of what they looked like.

Let's keep this going, period photos are fascinating !

I wish I had some to contribute! Adrian, could you perhaps list some of the breaches of "cap wear" regulation that you mentioned were in the pictures on the first page? I believe that would help describe the specifics of SS uniform regulations to less experienced SS collectors like me, as Ben suggests.

Hi Mo, you will find this blog of interest:

Italian SS « Gothicline’s Blog

And to keep the cap theme concurrent, here is one of an Italian SS man wearing the "Bustina" with the deathshead.

Time is against me at the moment: work beckons but maybe this weekend I will put my Sgt Major's hat on and list the non regulation items.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Hats - A study of period photos  
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

For excellent examples of Estonian headgear in period photo's , search for Otofoto on FB.

?

A few more for today.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Hats - A study of period photos   SS Hats - A study of period photos  

SS Hats - A study of period photos   SS Hats - A study of period photos  

Attached Images Attached Images SS Hats - A study of period photos  SS Hats - A study of period photos  SS Hats - A study of period photos 

?

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Hats - A study of period photos   SS Hats - A study of period photos  

SS Hats - A study of period photos   SS Hats - A study of period photos  

Attached Images Attached Images SS Hats - A study of period photos 

Good stuff, Ben - Great thread.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast