Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

SS Hats - A study of period photos

Article about: by talltom bottom picture on no.4 anyone noticed the shirt he is wearing isn't a plain one (odd) any extra info tom Simply wartime shortages. Plus some guys will always try and be different.

Phildhb
    ?

Default Re: SS Hats - A study of period photos

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    Sure enough, going through photographs of SS camp personnel (web-finds saved for personal reference and illustrations in assorted books), I found a substantial number of NCOs/ORs wearing the "K" collar patch, but not a single officer.

2. # ADS

Please re-read my post:

The officer in the photograph (Franz Ziereis, commandant of the Mauthausen camp) is wearing the "Death's Head + K" collar patch, but I was referring to the "K-only" collar patch. (The one seen in posts # 29 and 38.)

The document kindly provided by d'Alquen proves that the "K" collar patch was not a first model later replaced by the "Death's Head + K" collar patch - as I had initially presumed based on the available secondary literature - but that they were in fact in existance simultaneously.

The order states that:

"Death's Head + K" collar patches were to be worn by officers on the staffs of the camp commandants' offices.

"K" collar patches were to be worn by men and NCOs on the staffs of the camp commandants' offices.
    (As well as men and officers of the commandant's offices of the Dachau Training camp and of the Sonderkommando of Oberabschnitt Südwest.)
    Last edited by HPL2008; 10-23-2011 at 08:56 PM.

And now for the movie, note both cloth and metal edelweiss in wear...
    LiveLeak.com - ETO WW2 No2 European Theater of Operations - Battlefield Germany & Edith Piaf

?

My thanks to HPL2008 and d'alquen for the clarification. Any chance of seeing that document in full?

Unfortunately, the document runs to over 20 pages or so but I would be more than happy to look up and scan a particular section for you.

?

Well, I'm interested in all of it, really; such a document is surely full of revelations. But I understand, of course, that scanning 20 pages is a chore.

I do not know if anyone has noticed this but in this series of photos in Mathausen Franz Ziereis, commandant has a politcal eagle on his cap as a Sturmbannfuhrer but at the end of Himmler's visit he is promoted to Obersturmbannfuhrer, has been awarded the KVK1 and has changed his cap eagle to a regular SS version.

Will try to find photo and post soon

That is an interesting observation, I look forwards to the pics.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

heres some more sorry if some are repeated i don't think they are but you never know
    SS Hats - A study of period photosSS Hats - A study of period photosSS Hats - A study of period photosSS Hats - A study of period photosSS Hats - A study of period photosSS Hats - A study of period photosSS Hats - A study of period photosSS Hats - A study of period photos

tom

one more...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Hats - A study of period photos  

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast