Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

SS insignia from the Ostmark

Article about: by d'alquen I believe the men in post #38 are at the SS camp for Austrian refugees at Waischenfeld . The H.W.L. Schleissheim buldings in the Uebungslager Dachau are quite different. I agree

Default Re: SS insignia from the Ostmark

very very interesting, would be an interesting addition to Angolias book.
    Thanks Mr.D!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS insignia from the Ostmark
    P
    Many

Quote by Robert H View Post
    very very interesting, would be an interesting addition to Angolias book.
    Thanks Mr.D!
    In fact, without putting to fine a point on it, Mr. d'Alquen's document as well as many more we have found here reveal just how deficient is Anglolia's book by the lights of 2012.
    It is filled with errors and things left out. Mollo did far better research, even though some of it is in need of revision, too, in small details. But Mollo has foot notes that show he did research and those who follow in his foot steps can start there.
    Wim Saris's books are vastly superior to Angolia and are based on far reaching and thorough research.
    Moreover, there is in Germany a whole new generation of young scholars on the SS who have advanced this whole topic far beyond its state in the late 1960s or even the 1980s.

SS insignia from the OstmarkThe best militaria books today are these: Verlag Militaria which is an Austrian German undertaking.

These works eclipse many times over much of the old Bender books, but especially Angolia's dated and unsound research.

The Verlag Militaria works, however, do not include the items of our special interest.

SS insignia from the OstmarkSS insignia from the OstmarkSS insignia from the OstmarkSS insignia from the OstmarkSS insignia from the OstmarkAn example of what is not in Angolia's book: The post 1937 use of the roman numeral in conjunction with the arabic numeral to denote the staff of the Sturmbanne in a Standarte.
    There is no mention in Angolia's dated book of this prevalent and significant feature in the evolution of these uniforms from 1932 until 1939 or 1940. Mr. d'Alquen generously provided the primary source on this account.

These cuff titles are usually identified as those of SS Abschnitte, which is correct in another configuration.

Didn't realize the Alpenland cuff title was SS, mine has two swords crossed on it >_>

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    Did not the Linzer Standarte, Sta. 37 also wear the Edelweiss at some point?
    Indeed it did; I have this excerpt of a December 1932 order saved to my computer:

(Sorry; I don't remember where on the net I found it, although it is not unlikely that it was posted by Mr. d'Alquen at some earlier time.)

Quote by n0valyfe View Post
    Didn't realize the Alpenland cuff title was SS, mine has two swords crossed on it >_>
    That's a different matter: Yours is an NS-RKB cuff title. The name Alpenland was both used for an NS-RKB Gau and an SS Oberabschnitt.
    (This applied to a number of other geographical designations as well.)

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    Indeed it did; I have this excerpt of a December 1932 order saved to my computer:

(Sorry; I don't remember where on the net I found it, although it is not unlikely that it was posted by Mr. d'Alquen at some earlier time.)
    Thank you. I think this document appeared here, and I even recall seeing it in the SS Befehlsblaetter, but of a later date.
    It is a minor point. I wish I could get this SS Sammelstelle uniform, though....
    Happy New Year to you and thanks for all your help here for our project.

PS I have several colleagues from Linz and its history is quite interesting in this period, of course.

PSS There is a Polish site with many of these posted for the years 1937-194X or so.

Happy New Year to you and thanks for all your help here for our project.
    Many thanks and allow me to return the compliment and the new year's wishes!

PS I have several colleagues from Linz and its history is quite interesting in this period, of course.
    Certainly, what with it being the Patenstadt des Führers... Speaking of Linz and its history in those days; I found this title to be a fascinating read and would like to recommend it to all German-speaking members: Piper Taschenbuch | Hitlers Edeljude, Brigitte Hamann

PSS There is a Polish site with many of these posted for the years 1937-194X or so.
    And a very useful source of information it is. (For the benefit of those who haven't seen it yet, it is: Dienstaltersliste der Schutzstaffel der NSDAP )

SS insignia from the OstmarkThank you for post. I have the Hamann book on Hitler's mother's doctor. She is a fine historian and an emigrant to Vienna, which is no small accomplishment, not the least because the locals finally accepted her.
    Thank you for the Polish link again. It is a fine resource.
    My travels to Bavaria have been curtailed because of the Staatskrise, which irritates me. In You Tube there is a very good documentary series of ORF on the 1st and 2d Austrian Republics, the chapters on the era 1918-1938 being among the most compelling. Especially the events of the years 1927-1934, that is, from the Justizpalast fire until the two events of 1934 had not been as clear to me. The book here is a resume of the several hour series.
    This story is very compelling, indeed, and is the context for the SS in Austria and its special viciousness. The viciousness was generalized throughout the political culture.
    My best wishes to you and yours and my warm thanks for your fine curator role here on this site.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 12-30-2012 at 03:46 PM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast