MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

SS items up for auction

Article about: Hello all, there is a local auction coming up near me this weekend and it would seem that there is going to be quite a lot of militaria there, especially TR period items. The auction catalog

but the flag could have been a "fieldmade unit flag" one of those that many ss units hoisted in their vehicles to show pride in the unit, but as you guys previously stated most likely a fake, my theory cant ever be proven of course because the fieldmade ones where non issue.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS items up for auction
    P
    Many

SS items up for auctionSS items up for auctionSS items up for auctionSS items up for auctionSS items up for auctionSS items up for auctionSS items up for auctionSS items up for auctionSS items not found in local auctions, by accident, and at modest cost.

I do not want to discourage anyone, but the expectation of striking it rich in some glory spot, at no cost for especially this kind of material, hardly promises good fortune.

Here is the 1936 document on the number of SS tunics held in the quartermaster (Kammer) at the Sturmbann level.

The number is fifteen. In 1936.

That is, even in the III. Reich, SS regalia was hardly plentiful.

I have other primary documents that result in the same conclusion. SS items up for auctionSS items up for auctionSS items up for auctionSS items up for auctionSS items up for auctionSS items up for auction

I don't collect SS because there is just to many issues. I know its tempting some of the items look great but nearly all are repro and if we can state that from limited pictures I would give it a wide birth.

I do not want to discourage anyone. My statement is one of realism and it is also based on an active engagement with this material for decades.

Some beginners fail to grasp how long this material has been faked, and how the detritus of this effort has built up like sludge across the collector biotope.

I was there before the Mollo books came out and thereafter, and the publication of said books, along with Bender's series on the Waffen SS, led to an explosion in fakes, and
    this took place in the early to late 1970s.

There is more SS material on offer today than ever before, it is just concentrated in a few places, and it is very costly.

What is a real problem is the deliberate attempt by more than a few to prevent the newcomer from access by disinformation.

Or by bullying or by whatever measure will discourage others and keep them away from what little swag endures.

Or the beginner does not want to undertake the necessary effort to inform himself or herself of the requirements.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 02-11-2015 at 06:24 PM.

all I can say is put a very low bid in and see if it wins, then come back to us.

Here's an update. I went to the auction today and it was actually pretty good. Everything that was a reproduction was sold as such, and items that were spurious were sold as such. I picked up a small lot of DAF items for fifty bucks, and an HJ Kreissieger badge that I bought on the side from Karl from SV Militaria.

SS items up for auctionSS items up for auctionSS items up for auction

The best Nazi regalia is real Nazi regalia that makes you pleased at the end of the day. No buyer's remorse.
    The authentic pieces are always vastly to be preferred to fake SS things. The least biography, the least aspect of Nazi Germany, whatever, I find preferable to
    dubious, humped up and dodgy things.

and the most dubious are SS things sold at bargain prices with the most outlandish stories.....

An auction that was run Honestly? Will wonders never cease!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Yeah Wag. Been a minute good buddy. I am also one who might steer clear here. Take care Brian

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2