MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

SS Lager complex Dachau

Article about: The enclosed image appeared on another site today. It is an attractive one germane to our inquiry. Was not the Foto Atelier Bauer somehow connected to the SS? Does anyone know who this man w

Default Re: SS Lager complex Dachau

Monsignor d'Alquen,

Thank you for your input. I have seen enough images of officers wearing the hundredschaft numerals, beneath the totenkopf, to believe this order was lightly enforced. The only non-numbered officer collar tab, that I have seen, is one in which the numeral was picket out. I traded it to my friend, David Delich years ago.

I am nost interested to find a timeline for the initiation of the TV totenkopf collar tab, of this early pattern. I would not wish to dismiss the tunic as having a replaced rank shoulder board, as there iws no evidence of the tunic ever being altered and it is of the highest quality material of any black garment I have seen.

I can accept that the uniform may have been incorrectly piped, with new orders, or that the former owner may have not finished service or gotten a new garment, but these are mere speculation. If the collar tab style was in wear, in 1934, I am still comfortable with the tunic as it sits. If the collar tab was not in wear, the problem arises. Because the collar tab is not an RZM article, and the crudity of the embroidery is apparant, I could believe they were produced within the camp system (internally or outsourced) and that they were used prior to the 1935 institution of the commonly seen RZM pattern totenkopf insignia.

I have a wonderful photo of these being worn while in firearms instruction. Sadly, no officer is visiable in my photo. However, they are wearing the feldgrau tunic and wearing the black visor hat, when not wearing the model 34 overseas cap.

Bob Hritz
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Lager complex Dachau  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Lager complex Dachau
    P
    Many

Quote by d'alquen View Post
    Yes, I do remember these pictures and you're right, Robert Noss has an exquisite collection of photos. This particular Oberbayern album contains a raft of reference material.
    D.
    Thanks for yours. Colleague Peter also had a pretty impressive SSTV Oberbayern album, too, of similar date. Maybe we can coax him into posting some of those images., if he would do so for us The remarkable thing about real history vs the imitations of same rests in the challenge of noodling out so many riddles and questions, really.

Herewith is my sober, modest addition to the debate. I did look at this piece once. I think colleague Hritz knows it, too. It was formerly the property of a mutual friend of ours in the US Midwest presently in ill health, whom I esteem highly. It now resides in another private collection.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Lager complex Dachau  

Thanks to colleague Hritz for the nice picture. I had thought that the first pattern Totenschaedel (as is on his uniform) appeared in 1935, and was at the instigation of Eicke himself. But colleague d'alquen has taught us that many items of insignia etc. appeared actually earlier than we have thought.

Do the files of the Inspektion der Konzentrationslager endure somewhere?

I guess I have to look at those books I cited again, since they might have an answer.

Upon checking stacks of pictures I of course now find many pictures of the hundertschaft number in wear by leaders. I have never really got round to collating TV material and making sense of it but perhaps I should when time permits.
    As to the date of these first pattern skulls I too believe they were introduced in 1935 and lasted into 1936.
    Dated photographs are always a boon in these discussions and this one from my Dachau files shows the tab in May, 1936 on the occasion of a Himmler visit.
    D.
    SS Lager complex Dachau

Himmler in Dachau, apparently. Thanks to friend d'alquen for the picture of the mixture of the earth brown cap with the black tunic and his glacial patience to share his many wonderful documents and pictures.

I kick myself for having sold one of these brown caps in the early 1970s. It was marked VA 1936, in fact. Somewhere else is a picture of Heini H. on an inspection to this terrible place with a huge pile of Knoedel at lunch or something similar. An odd picture. I am not sure I can secure it, somewhere in this computer.

Eicke and his men review their troops at Dachau, date unknown. Mollo reminds us that the brocade Feldbinde came into wear in the year 1937-8.

Rather than the collar patch and numerals, in this image we have the cat nip of the sleeve diamonds for the more senior SSTV ranks. The attached image here is in a series with the image in post N. 2 in this thread.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 08-10-2008 at 06:02 AM.

Here note the pissed off expression of Papa Eicke. I do not imagine this mood of his brought much joy to those around him. If my weak eye sight is correct, then one of colleague Hritz's Sturmbannfahnen is in this image, as well. Maybe the officer in question has botched the Meldung? Happy collecting.

More of the review. Eicke and the Parademarsch. Not really zackig. And why are all these SSTV Maenner in the rear of the picture out of uniform, devoid of their Kopfbedeckung?

I suspect that we are seeing a rehearsal, possibly for the Nuremburg Rally.
    The location, outside the officers' quarters on Eickeplatz, and the fact that Eicke both reviews and participates in the parade would suggest this.
    D.

Quote by d'alquen View Post
    I suspect that we are seeing a rehearsal, possibly for the Nuremburg Rally.
    The location, outside the officers' quarters on Eickeplatz, and the fact that Eicke both reviews and participates in the parade would suggest this.
    D.
    Dear Colleague. Thanks, I had thought something like this, but was unsure.

Happy collecting. FB Auerbach

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast