MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

SS Obersturmbannführer Tab opinions please

Article about: SS collar insignia have been faked on a large scale since the 1960s, if not before.

Default Re: SS Obersturmbannführer Tab opinions please

Thanks Sid you are correct. Thanks Friedrich-Berthold for posting your photos (my tunic is put safely in storage). I have to say after a third closer look it has been shorten.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Obersturmbannführer Tab opinions please
    P
    Many

I would wait for an object that is less burdened with oddities.

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    I would wait for an object that is less burdened with oddities.
    I would do that too.

I have been digging around on this particular rank. I have found a few example of pips being close together. Here are a few:

Someone told me that at times, if these were sewn on by a machine, that the pips had to be set in closer together. That way the Pips would not get in the way of the needle guide. That makes sense to me. So far its been established that the tab is original. I will keep digging around. Thanks for the feedback.

There is seldom uniformity in the Sternchen, and they vary widely. The search for standardization is a chimaera that will always disappoint, a fata morgana that always vanishes as you draw nearer to the magic point, et cetera.
    The only remedy for this is the minute examination of real insignia.

The other piece is that in certain images, the rank insignia are retouched photos to celebrate the awards and or promotion of the hero of the hour, and the insignia are an illustration, and not actual badges at all.

hmmm. interesting post FB. why would one go to the hassle of retouching certain photos of a middle ranked officer?

When said officer was promoted or otherwise decorated and the old photograph with earlier rank was the only one at hand with the press services which distributed such photos by the means of the mid 20th century. You betray yourself as a person of the 21st century, for in 1938 or 1942, such retouched photos were quite common. I am a trained archivist in addition to other roles and missions and have some experience in these things.

The retouching, in many cases the use of ink and paint, made the reproduction contrast for newspapers and such print media more practical.

There was a time when the pictures were other than electric and less portable. And less topical.....

Rank collar patches were issued without piping, nor Sternchen which were added later.

Obersturmbannfuehrer is a high rank for the SS of the epoch, and a rare item. Generalizations about pictures on line are a circular and not always productive undertaking, and those who pose these questions should keep this fact very much in mind.

I am didactic on this point, as I own a number of collar patches on uniforms, the sight, feel and sense of which can never be communicated through this medium.

We can approximate it, but the feel and sense of the textile as well as the appearance of the piping and the Sternchen in various light and various angles form as much criteria for examination as a conventional front and back image.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast