Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

SS Obersturmbannführer Tab opinions please

Article about: SS collar insignia have been faked on a large scale since the 1960s, if not before.

Default Re: SS Obersturmbannführer Tab opinions please

SS collar insignia have been faked on a large scale since the 1960s, if not before.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Obersturmbannführer Tab opinions please
    P
    Many

The tab is good, but it would not be for me, as I do not like the pips.
    I know that this is a small (almost petty) comment but I also know that it would annoy me if I were to buy it.
    Tabs were usually altered to fit the collar, which to me would mean that it could have been adapted to fit an issue mans tunic or changed to match the Divisional collar patch if the wearer changed unit.

Also the holes seem to have been "frenchly made", too.

Quote by carlsson1982 View Post
    Also the holes seem to have been "frenchly made", too.
    Carlsson,
    I think you mean "freshly made" as opposed to having been made by a French person, but I know what you mean.
    Have to say though that this did nake me laugh, which is always a good thing.

Indeed, I made a mistake there.

I really appreciate your comments. Its time I have a solid study session on Pips. They still look good to me.

SS Obersturmbannführer Tab opinions pleaseSS Obersturmbannführer Tab opinions pleaseSS Obersturmbannführer Tab opinions pleaseSS Obersturmbannführer Tab opinions pleaseSS Obersturmbannführer Tab opinions pleaseSS Obersturmbannführer Tab opinions pleaseSS Obersturmbannführer Tab opinions pleaseSS Obersturmbannführer Tab opinions pleaseSS Obersturmbannführer Tab opinions pleaseOn the subject of what some call "pips" and I call Sternchen.....this thread has gone in circles with some theorizing versus data. These enclosures are data.

i am not made more comfortable by comparing the Sternchen in question with the data generously provided by Friedrich-Berthold. they are different in ways significant to my eye. when you, for example, begin counting the various minute features of the concentric rings about the very centre of these Sternchen you come up with some very different numbers.

there is a wide variance in these things (the Sternchen) and i think it beyond my experience to condemn them on this basis, but this and differences in detail overall make this tab, for me, one that perhaps i would pass on.
    again, this isn't to say i think it fake. my way of collecting does not require that call. it requires only that i reach a threshold in terms of what may require explanation in the situation of owning a particular tab and that is enough. in effect there are, to me personally, always two questions: the first being is the piece authentic and period in all its composition and the second is whether the piece is right for me. one never need know the answer to both. one need only to answer one or the other in the negative. for me (again this is personally) the tab is not right for my collection.

i think i may be repeating what our friend Bochmann has said here in different words and that is indication i suppose that in the end i agree very much with what he has said.

Do let me say this: these things are different from each other, which is my point. Look in the Assmann catalog. It includes a wide variety of such Sternchen.

such catalogs are a gaping hole in my resources which i am finding difficult to fill. i do not find that such catalogs grow on trees.

not to complain, as half the joy of collecting is in the hunt.

one day...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast