Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

SS Rank Tab

Article about: Hello, purchased this tab in a grouping and have been struggling to authenticate it. When coming to collar tabs its harder for me to tell fake from real when there is no SS weave present. Th

Default SS Rank Tab

Hello, purchased this tab in a grouping and have been struggling to authenticate it. When coming to collar tabs its harder for me to tell fake from real when there is no SS weave present. Thanks for taking your time to view this thread and I am looking forward to your comments!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Rank Tab   SS Rank Tab  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Rank Tab
    P
    Many

Anyone?

I'll admit that, like you, I find it more difficult to authenticate a blank tab. I'm surprised that no one has commented on this one, since the thread has gotten over 200 views. My opinion is that it's an authentic piece that has perhaps sustained some water damage. There has been another tab posted here recently that has wool of a similar quality, and it was deemed authentic (SS Oberscharfuhrer Rank Tab). The buckram appears authentic, and reminds of the type seen on this tab: SS EM/NCO's Collar Tab (Machine-Embroidered Runes) - Original/Fake?. The pip looks fine to me.

What is the 'SS weave'? This is a term i'm not familiar with.

I think he was just referring to tabs with the runes embroidered on them. His point, as I interpreted it, was that runic tabs offer more points of comparison for authentication than blank tabs.