Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SS regalia ca. 1978

Article about: I include here an extract from Manion's catalog ca. 1978 to make clear the former regime in collecting such regalia. Two of these items are today my property. That is, the officer's black co

Default SS regalia ca. 1978

I include here an extract from Manion's catalog ca. 1978 to make clear the former regime in collecting such regalia. Two of these items are today my property. SS regalia ca. 1978SS regalia ca. 1978 That is, the officer's black coat (1278), and the enlisted black cap (1237). The officer's black cap was mine in the years 1978-1981, but I traded it to Roger Bender and then it went onward to another known collector.
    The black officer's coat had a reserve of USD1500 at the time, which was a fortune.SS regalia ca. 1978

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS regalia ca. 1978
    P
    Many

Default Re: SS regalia ca. 1978

SS regalia ca. 1978SS regalia ca. 1978SS regalia ca. 1978The two items more recently. I am not sure what this means, but perhaps for our younger chums in Europe who lately have come to collecting, this kind of evidence shows where some of this material has been in the previous decades, and not in the hands of veterans, nor in the "woodwork," but among collectors, who, one hopes, take good care of such items. Of course, Manion always said that the high prices of 1978 would be the bargain of tomorrow, and he was right despite himself. He did not end up so well, of course, like many others. However, in this era, Manion found good material, aided by other experts. The appearance of such items as these was very much the exception, and not an everyday thing. You reading this have access to images of real items in a way that was totally unthinkable when I embarked on this odd pursuit of relics.

A fortune indeed. As a struggling art school student back then,
    I could only drool over marvels like these - as now, lol !

I wonder if there are as many SS items in Manion's
    catalogs today.........?
    Regards,

Steve.

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    A fortune indeed. As an struggling art school student back then,
    I could only drool over marvels like these.

I wonder if there are as many SS items in Manion's
    catalogs today.........?
    Thanks. I do not follow Manion's now other than to have read a pretty hair raising account of its decline and fall. In the 1970s and early 1980s, they had good material, but SS material was very infrequent.

SS regalia ca. 1978SS regalia ca. 1978SS regalia ca. 1978SS regalia ca. 1978SS regalia ca. 1978SS regalia ca. 1978SS regalia ca. 1978This is a catalog of 1991 in which was a fine Montur that I was able to secure recently, a kind of miracle and a costly one, too. This purchase reminded me of the others, and I dug out the old catalog. In any case, perhaps such is of interest, since the dynamics of these things have merit to our striving. It has all changed radically, and the sums involved are staggering, but that is not my point. The transparency and speed of it all boggles my feeble mind.

SS regalia ca. 1978SS regalia ca. 1978David Delich is a friend of mine and his work with all of this stands at the beginning, along with Andrew Mollo.

Love the photo of your former 'War Room', FB. - Is that a box of .45 Ball ammo
    and a Vietnam era US helmet cover I see in there as well.........?
    Regards,

Steve.

An interesting thread, thank you.

My local dealer sent away a lot of his personal collection to be auctioned off at Manion's a couple of years ago, before he went on his last tour in Afghanistan. Apparently they owe him close to $12,000, which he has received just a fraction of.

The other issue, lost utterly to time, is how these things came to the U.S.A. in which years and by what means? I do not think they were all found in a heap in 1945, either.
    In any case, save the images for your files and they highlight the march of the decades in a way that seizes my mind and might cast more light on things here.

Hi FB

Great to see what things cost in the "old days". Price is always relative and things that seem a baragain now where costing the earth then.

I remember getting my first helmet (British) and it was 35p. The only problem was my pocket money was 25p and I had to borrow 10p as an advance from my father to buy it. I then had to climb to the top of the scrap heap to get the thing !!

cheers

tony

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast