Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

SS Rings

Article about: I wanted to share two rings I have in my collection. Both came from the battlefields and SS Nordland positions.. thoughts?

Default SS Rings

I wanted to share two rings I have in my collection. Both came from the battlefields and SS Nordland positions.. thoughts?SS RingsSS RingsSS RingsSS RingsSS RingsSS Rings

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Rings
    P
    Many

CBH
    ?

I wouldn't call these SS-Rings, no SS ruins. Skull rings have always been popular with soldiers.
    I would classify these as Canteen Rings, all branches of the services could purchase these.
    Anything with any possible affiliation to the SS always carries a price premium hence many not SS items are called SS.

Thank you.. Why are they called canteen rings? These rings were found at SS fighting positions, hence the assumption, but I agree with your assessment.

Purchased at the canteen,, disregard the question ... (:

CBH
    ?

Yes available at soldiers canteen, also in catalogues etc. I believe the second ring is pictured in such a catalogue.
    I'd suggest looking through older posts in the ring section, I believe you'll find the image there somewhere.
    Welcome to the forum.

Quote by Benzeen View Post
    .....SS Rings
    BENZEEN....the first ring is of more interest to me because of the better quality. It appears to be two pieces....the skull might be held in place by an interference fit pin.

Thanks CBH, Stakeside I'll take some better pics.

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    For one thing, if you see SS lightning runes inside a ring-it's not genuine. Most all of these so-called SS rings-particularly the skull rings, were what you call a "Canteen ring". That is, they were sold then-just as they are even today, to the soldiers of all the various services and not just the SS. And they were also a popular civilian worn ring style as well. There was no agency in the SS making skull rings(other than the Honor Rings,of course) to sell to their members. There was naturally a myriad of different styles and designs of rings sold to the armed forces and some were targeted to specific branches such as the Luftwaffe,etc., and the SS was no different. But to have SS Markings inside them would have to mean that they were made by and for the SS organization, which is something that never happened.
    BENZEEN.....I quoted another member who provides a succinct perspective on this popular market.

This is just my gut feeling from your OP photos....this ring is of period manufacture, but made with a "battle" plan. The basic body of the ring was mass made with a flat surface to be drilled in the center. A second-piece mount with a locating pin would allow for a variety of styles.....a Totenkopf....an adler....a Swastika.....SS Runes......an Iron Cross.....? ? ?

Upon closer examination, there is a pin through the center.. I am confident the rings are original, but without the SS ruins, there is no way to say they were worn by an SS Soldier..

Quote by Benzeen View Post
    Upon closer examination, there is a pin through the center.. I am confident the rings are original, but without the SS ruins, there is no way to say they were worn by an SS Soldier..
    BENZEEN...Hope springs eternal.....BUT these rings were popular and worn by many, including some SS. However, they were not authorized for SS use. I found two other "CANTEEN" rings that are not identical to yours, but the construction technique is a similar idea.

SS Rings.....SS Rings
    Last edited by stakeside; 11-23-2017 at 05:08 PM.