Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

SS SD Tunic.

Article about: Hey guys, i have just spotted this SD tunic. Here is an extract of the sellers description of the item, "This is an original SD Officer's lightweight summer tunic with the rank of Unter

Default SS SD Tunic.

Hey guys, i have just spotted this SD tunic. Here is an extract of the sellers description of the item,
    "This is an original SD Officer's lightweight summer tunic with the rank of Untersturmfuhrer for wear in the Mediterranean or Eastern European theatre. Constructed of cotton with a rayon lining and heavy canvass belt support loops. There is evidence of wear to the lining across the shoulders where it has become quite thin overall with occassional staining and sweat marks to the fold of the collar. Size markings are ink stamped to the right breast area as seen in the photographs. Externally there are a few very minor plucks and some wear visible to the cuff edges. Insignia consists of silver cord edged blank right collar patch with 3 aluminium pips on left collar patch. Epaulettes are aluminium cord with toxic green underlay and black backing of the slip on style. There is some mothing to the black backing of the right epaulette but not visible unless it is turned over. There is a BeVo woven aluminium thread sleeve eagle still attached and a hand embroidered tight bullion wire unit identification badge below the left pocket. The buttons are attached by split pins to allow removal for washing and are of pebbled construction painted grey / green. The left cuff has lost its internal rayon closing slip. Approx 40 inch chest."
    Although i am not so sure that it is original, for starters the stamp on the inside doesn't look correct to me, there looks to be a serial code... Also it has the SD toxic green shoulder-boards although there is not as SD diamond on the sleeve.
    Anyway i look forward hearing to what you guys say and am ready to learn about any red flags.
    Thanks, Glen.
    Attached Images Attached Images SS SD Tunic.  SS SD Tunic.  SS SD Tunic.  SS SD Tunic. 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS SD Tunic.
    P
    Many

Default Re: SS SD Tunic.

SS SD Tunic.The Beaver book has examples of this kind of garment. Wide variation existed in such uniforms, as one can see from any cursory examination of relevant photos.
    The experts in police regalia as well as colleagues Hritz and Coleman can comment on an item of this type.

The description includes the Hoheitszeichen, but I cannot see it and you have not illustrated it. The SD Raute is a theme in itself, as to who was entitled to wear same and not.
    I have never figured this issue out at all, despite ownership of such uniforms. One of which illustrated here has no Raute, while two others do.

I would proceed with some degree of skepticism.

My SD uniforms are all black, woolen, and completely conform to the prototype. Such a statement is hardly helpful, of course. The most ideal object is one of these light weight uniforms in the true SS cut. Nonetheless, the variations were enormous by the mid war years.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 05-19-2012 at 07:25 PM.

SS SD Tunic.SS SD Tunic.SS SD Tunic.SS SD Tunic.SS SD Tunic.SS SD Tunic.SS SD Tunic.The Oak leak militaria site had more than one what might be passable field grey Sipo SD uniform.SS SD Tunic.SS SD Tunic.SS SD Tunic.SS SD Tunic.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 05-19-2012 at 08:09 PM.

SS SD Tunic.SS SD Tunic.SS SD Tunic.SS SD Tunic.SS SD Tunic.SS SD Tunic.SS SD Tunic.SS SD Tunic.SS SD Tunic.SS SD Tunic.Riddles in enigmas wrapped in confusion, fear, hope and agony. I only collect some grey caps, and leave the tunics to others for these very reasons. Too obscure for my weak mind and broken spirit.

Thanks F-B for the pics and information. I hope that one of the Bobs can come along soon with additional help. I have requested more pics from the seller as well.
    Thanks, Glen.

I would walk away from this piece. The cut is incorrect for a lightweight SD tunic. It is also missing the sleeve eagle and SD diamond. Both items easily spotted by experienced collectors if fake. The collar tabs and shoulder boards could be fakes. Pictures are not detailed enough but it is likely. The cut of this tunic is similar to a police lightweight tunic.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    I would walk away from this piece. The cut is incorrect for a lightweight SD tunic. It is also missing the sleeve eagle and SD diamond. Both items easily spotted by experienced collectors if fake. The collar tabs and shoulder boards could be fakes. Pictures are not detailed enough but it is likely. The cut of this tunic is similar to a police lightweight tunic.
    Thank you. An expert and skilled assessment from a man of great experience.

Hi thank you both Bob and F-B I managed to get some more pictures. I think that both the Ss runes and eagle look ok?
    Thanks, Glen.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS SD Tunic.   SS SD Tunic.  

SS SD Tunic.   SS SD Tunic.  

SS SD Tunic.  

Could it be possible that this in a period (field) modification which could explain the poor stitching?
    Thanks, Glen.

Hey guys, the seller also says,
    "I have had the item for about 16 years. I bought it from "The Old
    Brigade" in Northampton run by Stewart Wilson who is a well
    established and respected dealer. The material of manufacture is
    quite unusual in that it is cotton and not wool, and I assume it came
    from a large quantity of captured cloth that was subsequently used for
    making uniforms. The method of manufacture and the materials used for
    the lining are standard for the time. It also smells right which I
    have always found to be a great reassurance.

As can be seen from the images, there is some wear to the lining
    across the shoulders and sweat staining to the area of the collar that
    rubbed the neck. There is actually quite a distinct colour change to
    the material in this area which is greater than represented in the
    photographs. I have attached a few more to try to highlight this
    staining and the method of manufacture. There are minor plucks and
    tweaks to the surface of the material overall and the occasional
    brownish stain to the lining."
    Thanks, Glen.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS SD Tunic.   SS SD Tunic.  

SS SD Tunic.  

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast