MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

SS Skull fake?

Article about: This SS skull was found in Holland with a metal detector (not by me), and I thought it was real untill I looked the numbers up here. Turns out it might well be a fake, as I just read no SS s

Default SS Skull fake?

This SS skull was found in Holland with a metal detector (not by me), and I thought it was real untill I looked the numbers up here. Turns out it might well be a fake, as I just read no SS skulls had the runes on the reverse.
    Still it is strange to find a fake skull on a former battle field, and this one could have fooled me.
    Maybe somebody lost it there years after the war, we will never know how it ended up there.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Skull fake?  
    Attached Images Attached Images SS Skull fake? 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Skull fake?
    P
    Many

Said object is not authentic. Please put it in the thread for cap insignia so denoted. Sorry.

?

Quote by Feuerbach View Post
    Still it is strange to find a fake skull on a former battle field, and this one could have fooled me.
    Maybe somebody lost it there years after the war, we will never know how it ended up there.
    If fake, I wouldnt at all be surprised, if someone 'salted' the field.

?

I'm am certainly no expert about these SS-skulls, but I do know that TK's with SS-runes marked are a no go!

We have a separate rubric for this kind of thing here.

You will find others for comparison.

"Sculls" always generate a maximum of confusion as well as tall tales.

It has ever been thus and for this reason, we have special play ground for "sculls" and those who want to divine their "secrets," such as they are.

For me, they represent usually the most distressing obstacle to restoring an original cap.

SS metal cap insignia forum at War relics forum

I believe that this object is a 1970s Austrian made fake, poured out in the thousands and thousands and widely found wherever, even in battlefields violated by those who wish to batten on the legacy of the past for their own selfish ends.

If digging in battlefields is already forbidden, then I should hope the deliberate attempt to place false objects in said place is also illegal, to say nothing of its fundamental immorality.

SS Skull fake? Here is part of an SS uniform.

How many times have I heard the tall tale since I started to collect of how the GI shot dead the bad Nazi, and took the gore drenched uniform from the lifeless corpse, etc in the spring of 1945 and on and on.

In some cases, we can establish provenance with these things in some bomb proof way, but generally we cannot, and generally, the real story (if any...) is usually far less grand than what you read above.

This is a real uniform. It is reputed to come from an officer in "Patton's Army," and was found in the U.S. south recently, but how true this assertion is, I shall never know, and, moreover, don't care.

It only matters to me that the uniform is authentic.

Yes I did a search here before I started the thread, and learned the skull was a fake. Still strange to find a fake skull, and without have read the threads here I would have sworn it was original due to the fact it was dugg up on a battle field.
    Never would have thought it is a young as the 70's!

The strange and the confused are the norm here.

I hardly need add that the decade of the 1970s is now long ago. Not so much for me, mind you, but for the younger cohort, it is ancient history.

SS Skull fake? My how to fix it manual did I buy in Bonn in 1974, when I studied there.