Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

SS Tornister at Whammond site

Article about: This very nice SS Tornister will be for sale with Whammond in Canada, but at a price not for the faint hearted. I have two, but this one has the RZM tag. - - ------- - - I don't get a piece

?

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    Thank you, Dr. CHM, very useful data and very nice material in your collection.

Thank you, FB, for a view of things not often seen. I hope the new owner of the Whammond item enjoys their fine addition.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS  Tornister at Whammond site
    P
    Many

?

Quote by Robert H View Post
    nice original material, also it needs attention what purpose of back pack.
    Look Whammonds example is sold? Anyone knows for how much?
    Thank you for your post Robert, I hope you are doing well back home. These packs have always been a bit of a source of confusion for me, I can never figure out quite what the purpose of each one was. Many variations of the number of straps and such.

My best to you and yours.

CMH

?

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    It was in excess of 2500 dollars, I think. I did not pay such for mine, but they don't have tags, just the VA SS marks.
    Nor did I for mine. But who knows with all the differences in types of packs.

Regards,

CMH

The Collector's Guild

S008370 M34 "PONY FUR" BACKPACK. (Tornister)

BACKGROUND: The M34 backpack was based on the Prussian model 1885 and the Reichswehr era M1907/13 backpacks, with minor variations, and was officially introduced on November 1ST 1934. The SS-FHA, SS-Führungshauptamt, (SS-Operational Headquarters), and the SS-WVHA, SS-Wirtschafts und Verwaltungs Hauptamt, (SS-Economic and Administration Department) were the two organizations responsible for supplying and maintaining all personnel of the SS. The SS-FHA was responsible for issuing the initial equipment, supply and maintenance of weapons and ammunition, and the supply of technical equipment and transport vehicles. The SS-WVHA, was responsible for issue of clothing and personal equipment items as well as rations including horse and pack animal fodder and personal fuel items. Of Note: These M34 packs were to be replaced with the M1939 backpack, that was introduced along with the combat Y-straps on April 18TH 1939, but the transition was never fully accomplished and the M34 packs were manufactured through-out the war in limited quantities. During the war the early M34 and M39 "pony fur" backpacks were found to be too expensive and time consuming to produce which resulted in the production of a wide variety of less expensive canvas construction combat rucksacks and backpacks. Also Of Note: The RZM, Reichzeugmeisterei, (National Equipment Quartermaster), was official founded in June 1934 in Munich by the NSDAP as a Reich Hauptamt, (State Central Office), and was based on the earlier SA Quartermaster’s Department. The functions of the RZM were not only to procure and distribute items to Party formations, but also to approve chosen designs and to act as a quality control supervisor to ensure items manufactured for the Party met required specification and were standardized. Starting in late 1934 items manufactured for the SS came under the quality control of the RZM and were marked with an appropriate RZM/SS approval mark. In 1943 the Waffen-SS assumed full control over their uniform and equipment production and no longer fell under the authority of the RZM.

PHYSICAL DESCRIPTION: An olive drab canvas pack with leather and cowhide fittings, roughly 32cm wide, 40cm tall and 10cm deep, with a fold-over flap that covers its entire front. Full fur coverage to the main flap. All of the straps, buckles and buttons are complete. Nice oilcloth SS/RZM tag. A wooden insert is in the pack to give it a full shape, could be removed if desired. Shows the expected age and use, but overall nice condition. Scarce!

GRADE **** PRICE $2,380.00

The statement about the RZM above is incorrect. It was founded in 1928.
    This aside, Whammond is a sound source.

Congratulations to the lucky owner!!

Just bought some SS Feldpost items from Mr Whammond

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

Segeltuch Ausfuehrung is simply scarce, I never seen before. Actually stampings looks different from 68 factory, but it seems a good example to me. I have a couple of Tornisters with missed cloth RFSS tag, but I think such stuff is a hard sellers
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

?

Quote by Dimas View Post
    Segeltuch Ausfuehrung is simply scarce, I never seen before. Actually stampings looks different from 68 factory, but it seems a good example to me. I have a couple of Tornisters with missed cloth RFSS tag, but I think such stuff is a hard sellers
    Segeltuch-Ausführung is a mystery to me as well, at least, as to what purpose it was intended to serve, other than being a pack, of course. The following period photo is the only one I have come across that has the tornister in a similar configuration:

SS  Tornister at Whammond site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2