Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SS Totenkopf collar tab

Article about: I apologize for starting this thread without doing the necessary research beforehand, but I'm at a show and saw a collar tab, and since I'm not very familiar with tabs, I thought I'd ask her

Default SS Totenkopf collar tab

I apologize for starting this thread without doing the necessary research beforehand, but I'm at a show and saw a collar tab, and since I'm not very familiar with tabs, I thought I'd ask here to get some opinions while I'm at the show... Here's the tab. I suspect it's a reproduction, but I'm not sure.

SS Totenkopf collar tab

SS Totenkopf collar tab

Thanks for your help, guys!
    Last edited by daveward; 02-14-2015 at 11:28 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Totenkopf collar tab
    P
    Many

Well, members of our sister site have confirmed my suspicions that the tab is a reproduction.There were a lot of things that screamed "wrong" to me when I saw this piece, but I needed to be sure. When I have a little bit of time, I'm going to sit down and really study the various cloth pieces so I can better determine their authenticity for myself.

SS Totenkopf collar tabSS Totenkopf collar tabSS Totenkopf collar tabSS Totenkopf collar tabSince you are a novice collector, the collar patch is for the SS Totenkopfverbaende. Our Mr. Derek is the authority on this regalia, and, if you take the time to examine our threads, you will see his fine work.

Your level of ambition is remarkable. You want to collect cap insignia, but also these SSTV insignia.

These two kinds of insignia comprise two different realms, neither of which is really very straight forward.

Do use the resources we have here.

Quote by daveward View Post
    Well, members of our sister site have confirmed my suspicions that the tab is a reproduction.There were a lot of things that screamed "wrong" to me when I saw this piece, but I needed to be sure. When I have a little bit of time, I'm going to sit down and really study the various cloth pieces so I can better determine their authenticity for myself.

I am happy to help you, but please recognize that our site stands alone in the quality of its contributors and the value it has added to the collector realm.

I would appreciate if one of our moderators would join with me in this connection to explain our philosophy and approach, and how it differs from elsewhere.

And, you can best understand this insignia by looking at originals in sensible collections.

You write elsewhere that you are in Texas. There are members here in the US southwest and such who I am sure can help you.

This article of today has relevance as to why we do not have a "sister site."

Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 02-16-2015 at 03:02 AM.

SS Totenkopf collar tabSS Totenkopf collar tabThe loose collar patches are not mine.

I own one of these and it is happily attached to a black tunic where it has been since about 1937 or so...

It is the only one I have owned since 1963.

Our David Delich has a very fine collection of these, too.

There is a very specialized trade in SSTV insignia, with an over developed larceny and special craft devoted to excellent fakes.

The insignia in the palm here (above) is by no means an example of a well executed fake.

SS Totenkopf collar tabSS Totenkopf collar tabSS Totenkopf collar tabThe Delich treasures of SSTV insignia. Seen in all reference books are these very badges.

Also, go buy the Beaver Bando picture book on SS insignia before attempting to buy any of this kind of badge.

the book to which I refer. It is essentially a compendium of the leading No. American insignia collections.SS Totenkopf collar tabSS Totenkopf collar tab

FB, I am aware that this collar tab is based on those used for the SS-Totenkopfverbande, but I was just unsure of its authenticity (although I suspected it was a reproduction).

I suppose you could say that my collection goals are ambitious... I simply want to build a collection consisting of authentic SS items, whether they be cap insignia, collar tabs, cufftitles, daggers, medals, or whatever else I come across. I find these items particularly interesting, and I'm willing to put in the time and effort to build my knowledge with regard to these items. I know that such a goal will make for a lifelong journey.

I made a point of mentioning that I regretted not being able to research these items before posting my thread. I was at a show where a nice lady was selling this tab (it was mixed in among a wide variety of non-militaria items, as she is not a collector). She had no clue whether it was authentic or not, and since I hadn't researched the construction of collar tabs, I decided to create my thread so I could make an informed decision on whether to buy it before the show ended. I posted the thread on my phone as I was standing near the table... I created a similar thread on a separate site that has sometimes been referred to on this forum as our "sister site" (I did not mean to imply that it is any better or worse than this one, and my choice of words also wasn't meant to imply that it was somehow related to ours) in order to increase my odds of getting an answer before the show ended. Obviously, this was a special situation. I did not go to the show for the specific purpose of buying a collar tab; I was simply there to look around and have fun. However, the opportunity presented itself and I wanted to make an informed decision.

I fully intend to take advantage of the excellent resources on this site to help me learn more about these items as I continue on toward my collection goals. I believe that my posts on visor cap skulls, as well as my recent acquisition of a fine authentic example, are evidence of this. I plan to use the same process of studying authentic and fake examples of cloth insignia and other items as I have for the skulls. It is true that I am just beginning to collect these items, but I hope you don't assume that I'm going into this hobby without enough prior thought simply based on this post, which was created for a unique and time-sensitive purpose. Everyone here was a beginner at one point, and we all know how difficult it can be to get started... I'm simply here to do my best and become a better collector. Thanks, as always, for your help!

Thanks for the great resources, FB! I'll certainly be picking up that book. I'm sure it will be an enormous help to me as I build my collection!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast