Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

SS-Totenkopfverbände uniform on this man?

Article about: Hello everyone! Once more I have another question concerning a photo I have. Is this man a member of the SS-Totenkopfverbände? I tried to find a similar tunic on the web but can't find one.

MAP
    ?

It was common for POW's to be give the same hat/cap or jacket when being photographed. There were some old threads here where this was shown.

I do find his hair very neatly styled though for a POW photo. But pure conjecture on my part.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS-Totenkopfverbände uniform on this man?
    P
    Many

Quote by Manfred WA View Post
    This looks to me like a POW photo.
    Or a photo of a new recruit for his ID documents and personnel file. No way to know either way.

Quote by Manfred WA View Post
    From memory, one of the things I started to notice was that the POWs seemed to all be wearing the same caps, ill fitting or not. If an officer was photographed, a peaked cap was worn and everyone else had the same Schiffen with Totenkopf. I also seem to recall that the NCOs were all crammed into the same jacket with silver Tresse around the collar.
    Here's a thread where this series of photographs was discussed:

QUESTION - early tank crews skull used by ss members?

It looks like I may have saved everyone of the pictures from that website when it was up. Here's an interesting one with a double swastika.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS-Totenkopfverbände uniform on this man?  

I think you may be correct Manfred. I have seem some of the Polish POW photos and it does seem the prisoners were dressed in the same uniform wearing the same cap.
    Probably a case of captured guards who were caught in civilian clothes then made to wear a uniform for the photographs.

From the earlier thread, in case you're interested, the site exists anew (I thought it had gone down the memory hole): Załoga SS KL Auschwitz - Truth About Camps | W imię prawdy historycznej The pictures, linked to the thumbs, aren't as big as the ones I originally ran across a few years ago.

Default SS-Totenkopfverbände collar tab

Here is a close up of an original TK collar tab
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS-Totenkopfverbände uniform on this man?  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2