Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

SS uniforms, Knoetel

Article about: A rare and seldom found cigarette album of SA and SS uniforms. These images courtesy of one of the West Coast prestige dealers. Images ca. 1933 of the party uniforms. The artist: Knoetel, a

Default SS uniforms, Knoetel

A rare and seldom found cigarette album of SA and SS uniforms. These images courtesy of one of the West Coast prestige dealers. Images ca. 1933 of the party uniforms. The artist: Knoetel, a well known figure in this genre of military art. Such illustrations grew out of the portrayal of battles and garrison life, becoming highly popular from the mid-19th century through the NS period.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS uniforms, Knoetel   SS uniforms, Knoetel  

SS uniforms, Knoetel   SS uniforms, Knoetel  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS uniforms, Knoetel
    P
    Many

Default Re: SS uniforms, Knoetel

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    A rare and seldom found cigarette album of SA and SS uniforms. These images courtesy of one of the West Coast prestige dealers. Images ca. 1933 of the party uniforms. The artist: Knoetel, a well known figure in this genre of military art. Such illustrations grew out of the portrayal of battles and garrison life, becoming highly popular from the mid-19th century through the NS period.
    Nice pics! Aren't the skulls the 1934 patterned ones? Or am I being fooled by my crappy screen?

I am sorry not to have better images, as these pictures are not mine. The editors of the volume assert that the images are based on the uniforms of SA, SS, and HJ as of the summer of 1933. So go figure. I think this volume was published late in 1933 or so (someone will know...) I think the badge is Knoetel's interpretation of a Danziger Totenkopf. At all events, this volume is an early one. Since the volume was produced essentially by the SA (Sturm Zigarettenfabrik...) Knoetel likely had actual uniform pieces at his disposal, in addition to photographs, I guess. Maybe someone knows better.

At all events, this volume is an early one.
    Agreed, and the pics. are very nice. Thanks for sharing!

I believe I see Mr. Hritz's vehicle flag on the top middle photo, the last pic on the photo.

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/germa...icle-flag.html

Thanks for yours. On the other site, Derek Chapman has suggested that the so called 1934 badge was, in fact, taken into wear in the course of 1933. So, who knows really? I trust his analysis. Equally true is that the old Danziger TK badge endured well after the newer badge emerged. I am glad you liked the pictures. I first saw one of these volumes in the early 1970s, and was transfixed by it.

Quote by Anders S View Post
    I believe I see Mr. Hritz's vehicle flag on the top middle photo, the last pic on the photo.

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/germa...icle-flag.html
    You are right, of course. All very interesting and our goal is more knowledge for a greater span of people.

After all, how many times can one look at a flimsy piece of stamped metal, even if it is real?

There is more to the sujet than that, no?

Someone should attempt to illustrate every piece of regalia, insignia, equipment and clothing in the VA SS price list. That would be an undertaking for some of us somehow.

Here is an example of the same genre of battle painting. Someone can tell us the artist of this work, but this kind of thing spawned the popular compendia of uniform illustrations for a wide audience.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS uniforms, Knoetel  

You are right, of course. All very interesting and our goal is more knowledge for a greater span of people.
    I agree.

After all, how many times can one look at a flimsy piece of stamped metal, even if it is real?

There is more to the sujet than that, no?
    I'm still agreeing.

Someone should attempt to illustrate every piece of regalia, insignia, equipment and clothing in the VA SS price list. That would be an undertaking for some of us somehow.
    Well, since I got an "F" in drawing, I'm lucky enough to sit down and wait till someone has done it.

Quote by Anders S View Post
    I agree.

I'm still agreeing.

Well, since I got an "F" in drawing, I'm lucky enough to sit down and wait till someone has done it.
    Thanks for yours. There a lot of uniform illustrators now, but I do not pay much attention to them, myself. Surely this kind of art work attracts little or no following in Germany, and I cannot generalize about the Nordic countries.

I am sure you are a fine artist, really.

My idea was at least to have photographs both historical and of actual pieces of the thousands of things listed in the VASS price list.

But I do think there is so much more to all of this regalia than what one tends to see elsewhere in the Internet, especially on those sites with something of a focus on the Schutzstaffel d. NSDAP. There seems to be just three or four topics, and they get beaten completely to death.

The Axis history website has some remarkably interesting things for all of us, though.

Mr. Stevenson has high hopes for his pupils here.

Best wishes to you all and happy collecting.