Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

SS visor cap, thoughts?

Article about: I have what looks like a Waffen SS infantry officer's visor cap, I'd like to know what your thoughts are on authenticity and value of it. It is missing the sweatband d and the badges, but ot

Besides being a poor fake, it is a gray officer's cap and not specifically worn by the Waffen SS. Any member of the SS who wore a gray uniform would also wear the gray cap. FB has given you numerous things to compare from a genuine cap to your piece. Study genuine examples and learn what to look for.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS visor cap, thoughts?
    P
    Many

SS visor cap, thoughts?SS visor cap, thoughts?SS visor cap, thoughts?SS visor cap, thoughts?SS visor cap, thoughts?SS visor cap, thoughts?SS visor cap, thoughts?
    Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    Besides being a poor fake, it is a gray officer's cap and not specifically worn by the Waffen SS. Any member of the SS who wore a gray uniform would also wear the gray cap. FB has given you numerous things to compare from a genuine cap to your piece. Study genuine examples and learn what to look for.

I don't collect anything SS related but even with that impediment I could see at one glance this was not a Third Reich item. If I may offer some advice, start with something from the Heer or Luftwaffe. They are easier to find, less expensive and not as subject to deception as SS items. Once you have a legitimate Third Reich Schirmütze (visor cap) in hand, you will begin to develop a sense for what is good and what is bad. I started with a LW artillery visor and it helped me to detect real from fake. You can find nice examples at places like SV Militaria and here on the classifieds. Good luck finding a legitimate cap and check in with us again. NH

That is a bad cap, take these guys words for it!

One glance at the first picture and I got the sense something was not right. Take Neil, Bob, and FB's advice, get familiar with the real item, after some time and study of the details, you almost will develop an awareness and the red flags become more apparent. That is, until a really well done, high quality fake comes around. We, including the guys I have mentioned earlier, have all been fooled at some point. The experience of these people here, and their willingness to help is very valuable and a great asset to us all. K.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2