Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

SS visor hat

Article about: yet again....this is a senior leader's cap. Notice with width of the velvet cap band....

Default Re: SS visor hat

Quote by S.Vestae View Post
    Look the diamond, and you will see "Alteste" marked....
    I can hardly see,let alone read it. It's very faint. But many thanks to all for the information. My wife says I can now take it out of mothballs and display it.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS visor hat
    P
    Many

I am VERY SORRY for you...I lost lot of money in the past with these kind of items...

If you read the post carefully, our colleague here received this cap as a gift from a veteran of the second world war. Surely this is the case.

The point here is to examine actual, real pieces, which are here more than one will find elsewhere.

As regrads origins of the cap, it likely came from someone stationed in Bavaria who bought the thing there, or, the cap was bought like much early fake militaria through the sources common in the 1950s and 1960s, as pointed out by colleague Coleman.

The Breuer-Atwood Wilhelmstrasse 110er hats are all over the place, to be sure, granted their frequency in the internet.

The Wehrmacht Awards Forum has a tutorial on these caps in detail, if one wants to spend the time to examine it.

The chances of a normal human being encountering an authentic SS general's cap in mythical circumstances of a garage sale or in the attic of an aged veteran are essentially nil.

What one cannot find easily are images of real caps, as depicted in this file.

Happy collecting.

?

in this, as in so many arenas, one can do little better than to recall the following:

Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.

- Vernon Sanders Law

?

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    One of the signal flaws of these 1960s Berlins aelteste Muetzenfabrik make caps is the far less than 4.5 cm width of the velvet cap band.

There are many other horrendous flaws.

There are many more images of authentic SS headwear on this site.

They are free to examine in detail.

Sorry to shatter anyone's hopes.
    in this, as in so many arenas, one can do little better than to recall the following:

Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.

- Vernon Sanders Law

Quote by vady View Post

- Vernon Sanders Law
    Dear Colleague, well said and very true. We have all paid far too high a price for our fondest hopes with this stuff. There is no limit to human resourcefulness with the creation and merchandising of holy grails, golden fleeces, relics of saints, pieces of the true cross, and other items of value from other cultures and religions I am too blinkered to cite here properly.
    One can spend a little time on this site with the citations on You Tube to see the glee with which people are digging up buried PzKw as well as recreating them for re en actors meetings all make the Breuer-Atwood caps look positively innocent in comparison. These caps are themselves a historical relic of a comparatively innocent time in which fakery in NS regalia was somehow more tractable than its present global malaise.

Happy collecting.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 11-03-2008 at 04:57 AM.

As Friedrich-Berthold stated in his post. It WAS given to me by a WW2 vet. I really don't recall if he claimed it to be authentic or not. It was a gift and I didn't lose any money. But still, And again,thanks for setting me straight. There's a lot of good info on this forum!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3