Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

SS Visor Hat

Article about: Good evening everyone, I have what may be a reproduction SS Visor Hat. However, I need some help to ensure that this is a repro before I move forward by keeping it in my collection or sellin

SS Visor HatSS Visor HatSS Visor HatSS Visor HatSS Visor Hat
    Quote by ALU View Post
    Might I ask what's the difference between an A1 and an A2 manufacturing license?
    Cap factory, i.e. industrial maker versus an artisan, i.e. guild handicrafts
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 04-12-2016 at 06:31 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Visor Hat
    P
    Many

ALU
    ?

What was this RFSS mandated campaign against kitsch vis-a-vis caps?

SS Visor HatSS Visor HatSS Visor HatSS Visor HatSS Visor Hat
    Quote by ALU View Post
    What was this RFSS mandated campaign against kitsch vis-a-vis caps?
    In early or mid 1934, the RFSS standardized the black SS cap and all items of uniform, etc.

The regime had an ongoing campaign after 1933 to protect party symbols and uniforms against misuse, to include advertising, graphic art, etc. that did
    not comply with the secular religious imperatives of the NSDAP as the state party.

The RFSS initiative to standardize the uniform is treated in dozens of my threads with excerpts of the documents.

It is more or less at this time that the model of SS cap emerged that the average collectors interprets as being "textbook."

SS Visor HatNeedless to say, SS caps existed prior to this order as well as thereafter, in which variations operated. Wim points it out, and the pains in the a$$ nagging
    scolds in the RZM as well as in the leadership of the SS pointed out endlessly how not enough people followed regulations.

This article is from the RZM circulars of the first half of the year 1934. I have lost the date. I am sure Wim or Mr. d'Alquen know it.

There is constant reference to this action in the course of said year.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 04-12-2016 at 08:31 PM.

above document captures to a sublime degree the mentality of these people, I think.

ALU
    ?

So was the SS service cap standardized according to Himmler's directive from the tellerform to the saddleform from 1934 onwards?

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    above document captures to a sublime degree the mentality of these people, I think.
    It sure does. For the benefit of the non-German speaking members, I have taken it upon myself to translate these longwinded, awkward sentences from German Nazi-era adminspeak into English:

"Combating unauthorized manufacture and sale of SS items.

Received by the Reichszeugmeisterei on a daily basis and in ever-increasing numbers, the reports submitted by observant clients informing us that numerous proprietors of retail outlets and tailor shops procure SS items - particularly of a textile nature - from unauthorized manufacturers and sell them on, thus violating fundamental decrees of the Reichszeugmeisterei, have forced us to take drastic measures in order to prevent these infractions.

Thus, we have demanded from all authorized manufacturers of cloth badges, caps etc. for the formations of the NSDAP to declare to us by means of an affidavit that they neither manufacture SS items of any kind themselves, nor obtain or sell them and that they will not sell any possibly existing stocks without a special permit by the RZM. However, only the RZM-licensed manufacturers have been affected by these measures. In order to assure the SS' uniformity in clothing as ordered by the Reichsführer-SS once and for all and so as to prevent the unauthorized manufacture by makers that are not licensed by and thus not on record with the RZM, we have also demanded the submission of the affidavit from all authorized retail outlets and tailor shops, stressing the fact that those who refuse its submission thus announce themselves as disobeying the existing regulations and therefore automatically lose the right to sell any official party items.

Noncompliance to the affidavits will be punished by us with the immediate revocation of the authorization certificate and the simultaneous initiation of criminal proceedings. In the interest of all observant retail outlets and tailor shops, we will monitor receipt of the affidavits most thoroughly.

We take this occasion to call for the numerous retail outlets and tailor shops that are still in default for the submission of the affidavit to mail to us the affidavit by the 25th of this month at the latest, lest we instruct our legal office to withdraw the authorization certificates. We expect that this announcement is all that is necessary to prompt those retail outlets and tailor shops that are in default to fulfil their obligations and already point out the fact that authorization certificates revoked on the aforementioned grounds will not be re-issued in case of delayed submission. (Further announcements on SS clothing will be found in the next issue of the bulletin.)
    "
    Last edited by HPL2008; 04-13-2016 at 07:13 AM.

ALU
    ?

So this bit of Himmlerism was aimed at retail and tailor shops who weren't licensed by the RZM but were making unauthorized SS uniform items?

Quote by ALU View Post
    So this bit of Himmlerism was aimed at retail and tailor shops who weren't licensed by the RZM but were making unauthorized SS uniform items?
    It was aimed both against manufacturers making SS items without authorization and against retailers and tailors who bought such items from them in order to re-sell them to their customers.

ALU
    ?

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    It was aimed both against manufacturers making SS items without authorization and against retailers and tailors who bought such items from them in order to re-sell them to their customers.
    A "black market" for black caps. It would seem the more things change...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast