Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

SS visor hat-early insignia,late hat

Article about: This grey cap atop the black DRP helmet came from the same collection as the one under inquiry, and was originally Shea's. It is also in the Shea Beaver book, which speaks for the taste of t

Default SS visor hat-early insignia,late hat

Greetings. This hat has tempted me to upscale my humble collection and purchasing budget by an order of magnitude. I would have thought it to be post-1939 with "mis-matched" insignia, but all still authentic. As we have seen from recent discussion by the experts on this site, it is indeed rare for a hat and its original insignia to have remained intact, and so was not the greatest concern. Also we have seen how "earlier" components such as labels and insignia may well have found their way onto a hat made later and being rigid about such things can lead one to miss the point.
    The seller describes this as a 1938 vintage, which I wouldnt argue, but also that the insignia is original to the hat, of which I am doubtful. He has a good reputation on this site and has obviously had many more original items in his hands than I.
    I would appreciate the views and considerations of members.
    Thanks and regards.SS visor hat-early insignia,late hatSS visor hat-early insignia,late hatSS visor hat-early insignia,late hat Paul

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS visor hat-early insignia,late hat
    P
    Many

Default Re: SS visor hat-early insignia,late hat

Hi,for an early type cap it shows no sign of wear, that seems odd to me but that just may be me being over cautious!

?

A desirable cap that comes from a nice collection. The former owner decided to part with his collection of black tunics and visors and has sold them through Bruce. Many period photos exist that show the SS visor with an eagle other than that of the standard SS eagle so it is plausable that the insignia are indeed original to the cap. I would find it difficult to assign a specific date of 1938 to this item, but Bruce has had much experience with these.

If the Hersteller number did not get recycled or reassigned then based on references this is a Lubstein cap which, to some, makes it all the more desirable. I would be comfortable with it in my collection so, if it speaks to you, why not?

This image was posted by FB a while back:
    SS visor hat-early insignia,late hat

Proof that not everything was or is always completely regulation.

Thanks for your considerations. I apprecieate the hat's solid provenance.
    Any photos of Sepp and Heiny together are always intriguing. In their case, the winner was the last one standing. cheers. Paul

?

Its a very nice cap and I myself can not find anything wrong with it. A superb example.

Cheers, Pat

Quote by Patrick Lewis View Post
    Its a very nice cap and I myself can not find anything wrong with it. A superb example.

Cheers, Pat
    Thanks for your vote of confidence Pat.
    cheers. Paul

?

But one thing I do notice is the cork band(?) is going over the RZm tag. I havent seen that before but then again I havent been collecting long.

Cheers, Pat

..with the new skull that freshly arrived..
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS visor hat-early insignia,late hat  

As Dr. CMH noted, this cap came from a collector known to me whom I esteem highly. There is much visual evidence of the older badges or other badges in wear on these caps. The simplest thing is to examine the cap, which I am happy to do to see if the badges are fiddled. It is usually clear. However, I know the former owner to have been a careful and fastidious collector, so I trust his judgment as I do, as well, that of Bruce Herman. I remember clearly when the latter got this cap and the former bought it early in the last decade. In any case, if the badges are a source of concern, then buy another cap, but this is a Lubstein cap ca. 1938 or 1939, and in a fine state of preservation, and of pleasing quality. Lubstein black enlisted caps are not especially common, if you want to engage the maker thingy. The cap also has a name in it, which makes that more wanted for some.
    The appearance of the insignia matches the cap, so to each his own. I thought of buying the thing at the time, but I have several of these. I am not exactly disinterested in all of this, you might protest, as both persons are friends of mine.
    I am also much less fussy about replaced badges on SS caps, having forty odd years of experience, where such caps are often denazified or collectors have fiddled with them. I do not think such applies here.

SS visor hat-early insignia,late hatSS visor hat-early insignia,late hatI own this cap and am very proud of it. I should have Mr. Spandau or Mr. Ben Vk fix the holes in it.... It came from Shea, who has a good eye for SS caps, and I support his search with loads of cash. This is an early, ca 1936 or so grey officer's cap with the remnants of the runics inside and the stamp on the peak and such.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 01-20-2013 at 08:30 PM.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast