Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

SS vizor on a SA uniform

Article about: All, while going through the many period books in my library, I ran across this photo. It shows a SS vizor on a SA uniform. Was this from the early days when the SS was part of the SA ? Myky

?

Default SS vizor on a SA uniform

All, while going through the many period books in my library, I ran across this photo. It shows a SS vizor on a SA uniform. Was this from the early days when the SS was part of the SA ? Myky...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS vizor on a SA uniform  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS vizor on a SA uniform
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: SS vizor on a SA uniform

Ineresting! Looks more like a Political Leaders tunic than SA, althogh no armband visible.
    Also, the belt could also be PL. If it was a visit to a docked ship (Raeder is there), that could suggest a local politico would be there!
    Any text on the photo? What is the book?

?

Guys...... here's the scans of the book and a better scan of the picture posted earlier , but with the caption. Note also the tunic is void of collar tabs, etc. just a plain jane tunic, but with a political leaders belt and buckle. A strange combo, just going to show you there is nothing set in stone about the early days. The armchair experts will have fun with this one...... : )
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS vizor on a SA uniform   SS vizor on a SA uniform  

?

skull on the hat , must be his first day and didn't get a black tunic yet?

?

I guess in those early dates they cobbled together anything that seemed passable was ok....... dunno. I've seen some really weird combos in period pictures....... this is just another. Thought I'd pass it on........ Myky

"The armchair experts will have fun with this one"
    I hate to be contentious but isn't this usually a derogatory term?
    D

?

I've been in this hobby/business for 52 years......and I've seen comments on the forums from people who post opinions that they have formed from books and other posts without ever holding or owning, the particular item, or a similar one being discussed, in their hands, but they are an " expert ". Too many original items have been labeled as fakes by them when they rely on other opinions without personally examining the item. These are the ones I spoke about in my previous post. We all know they exist....... I assume you know what I'm talking about...... it is only derogatory to those people, not to the general collectors fraternity who have spent years and a lot of money to examine the items in their collections in person. I'm sorry, and I apologize if you are offended by this, I'm just trying to defend the picture in my post and the truthful comment......

Dear myky,
    No need to apologise. Indeed, thank you for sharing the excellent photograph. I replied as I did merely because I have seen more than one forum slowly but surely disintegrate because contributors throw out disparaging comments that always seem to alienate others unnecessarily. In fact, with regard to Nazi items it is perhaps a good thing we, for the most part, are only armchair experts.
    But it is also possible I have become overly zealous in my efforts to preserve courtesy as I too age. If so, please accept my apology.
    Anyway, in the spirit of trying to ensure this forum remains productive I can tell you that your picture shows the Gauleiter of Danzig, Albert Forster. The photo was taken in September 1939 and the curious combination is probably the result of his various positions and roles in both the SS and the NSDAP.
    D.

?

D....... thanks so much for your insight. And you are absolutely right about forums being destroyed by unfounded opinions. That is precisely why I said what I did, as those who make unqualified opinions, will possibly refrain from them on THIS forum. As the old saying goes, " if the shoe fits " ........ I have seen well respected collectors leave other forums because of inane comments by these types. I'm of the opinion that if someone disagrees with something here, e-mail the person privately and discuss it and see if something can be learned..... Never assume that you know more than the one who makes the post.......unless you have examined that exact piece yourself....... " Discretion is the better part of valor " And thanks so much for the identification of the individual in the picture and the mysterious combination of vizor and uniform, you have a very learned background on the 3rd reich
    These are the type of comments that we learn from.... Myky

To me, the tunic appears to be the standard SS gray tunic of the 1934 pattern cut.

It is unadorned by any insignia and I do not know why, but the tunic appears to be of the SS style.

Bob Hritz

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast