Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

The SS white cap in wear

Article about: The subject came up recently of the summer white cap for the SS. I was just scanning some images for my files on SS caps and thought some of you might like to see this shot of Weber relaxing

Default Re: The SS white cap in wear

Quote by d'alquen View Post
    Don't quote me on this but I believe Weber was killed in a traffic accident whilst in U.S. custody in May 1945.
    D.
    Wikipedia states this as the cause of death, too. It says that Weber was arrested by the US Army on 1 May 1945 near Berlin and transferred to Heilbronn for further questioning a few days later. The military vehicle transporting him had an accident, though, in which Weber was fatally injured, dying on 11 May 1945 in the Schwäbische Alb.

(Strangely, though, the dtv Enzyklopädie des Nationalsozialismus lists Munich as the place of his death and claims him to have been murdered by Bavarian insurrectionists.)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement The SS white cap in wear
    P
    Many

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    Wikipedia states this as the cause of death, too. It says that Weber was arrested by the US Army on 1 May 1945 near Berlin and transferred to Heilbronn for further questioning a few days later. The military vehicle transporting him had an accident, though, in which Weber was fatally injured, dying on 11 May 1945 in the Schwäbische Alb.

(Strangely, though, the dtv Enzyklopädie des Nationalsozialismus lists Munich as the place of his death and claims him to have been murdered by Bavarian insurrectionists.)

Thanks colleagues. I found a nice entry in Hermann Weiss, Hrsg. Bio. Lexikon zum III. Reich (FFM, 1998) which describes his death in the traffic accident. I imagine in 1945 there were more than a few chances to zoom off the Autobahn at a collapsed bridge or the like.

It did take me long time to get a driver's license when I was in USAREUR, of course.

Weber was quite a figure, not merely in the physical sense.

Thanks once again. I suppose Wikipedia is nice, but I prefer books still.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 08-27-2008 at 02:17 AM.

Sorry to take so long to answer Robert. I do not have the original, it is in the Munich press archives. I can let you have a high rez scan if it interests you. Here is a closer look at the inspector title but unfortunately because of the low light the image is slightly blurred as Weber and Goering move.
    It is the best shot I have of the cuff band.
    D.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The SS white cap in wear  

D. many thanks for sharing this images. Is this last photo propalby taken in the Jagdmuseum in Munich?

Yes, Robert,
    Deutsches Jagdmuseum, Schloss Nymphenburg, November, 1938.
    D.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2