Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Stallingrad cross

Article about: Jay's avitar reminded me i had this little trinket. i have had this for years, but never thought much about it. it was in a box with some other things, but i assumed it was something post wa

?

Default Stallingrad cross

Jay's avitar reminded me i had this little trinket. i have had this for years, but never thought much about it. it was in a box with some other things, but i assumed it was something post war made. the front side has tarnished quite a bit over time, the back is not as exposed to the air, and has not tarnished as much. it is marked 800 on the back, and does have the smell of silver. the top loop is seperatly solderd on.
    i'm just posting it for Jay to see. but if any one knows about it, jump in.
    andrew
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Stallingrad cross   Stallingrad cross  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Stallingrad cross
    P
    Many

Default Re: Stallingrad cross

Hi Andrew, I have not seen a similar looking piece. It could always be a one of a kind piece. As we discussed, this had to have been a private purchase. In my humble opinion, the detail looks good, as well as, the dimensions of the eagle and the banner. They did a nice job of soldering the ring on. I've noticed on cheaper metals, depending on how they solder, the metal gets distorted or darkened from the heat, yours doesn't have that. With jewelry there is almost no way to date it. I like it very much, it looks like a quality made piece. I have read that wives and other family members of soldiers lost at Stalingrad paid to have necklaces and hat pins made of this cross as a remeberance so it's not out of the realm of possibilities this is a period piece. It's a long shot but maybe someone else on the forum has more information or maybe even a similiar piece with collaberating history.

Take care,
    Jay
    Last edited by sitges1990; 02-17-2010 at 04:50 PM.

?

thanks Jay,
    if you want a hands on look i'll send it.
    andrew

O.K. lets see if we can get some more opinions from the guys!