Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Suppression of the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising 1943

Article about: From the album of SS-Oberfuhrer Jürgen Stroop. You might have seen a few of these images before but they remain quite fascinating, especially in regards to the weapons being used and some of

Default Re: Suppression of the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising 1943

Where exactly is the infamous leather bound pebble finished copy that Stroop had made for presentation to Himmler? Does it still exist?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Suppression of the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising 1943
    P
    Many

?

Good question Pat!

Quote by BenVK View Post
    From the album of SS-Oberfuhrer Jürgen Stroop.
    You might have seen a few of these images before but they remain quite fascinating, especially in regards to the weapons being used and some of the field caps.
    are any of these your photos ?

In the first photo one of them seems to be wearing mirrored runic tabs.
    Here is my contribution to this thread
    Cheers
    Dave
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Suppression of the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising 1943  

Sorry, but I'am afraid Dirlewanger troops were not present at the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising of 1943.
    (They participated in the action to crush the Warsaw Uprising in August 1944, which was an entirely unconnected event.)

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    Sorry, but I'am afraid Dirlewanger troops were not present at the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising of 1943.
    (They participated in the action to crush the Warsaw Uprising in August 1944, which was an entirely unconnected event.)
    Sorry my mistake

Quote by edelweiss123 View Post
    I visited the Uprising museum in December and i agree the "home made" weapons were fantastic, i especially loved the German Flare Pistol that had been adapted to fire grenades. (See pic, retrieved from German grenade pistol | Images).

The Museum of army chaplaincy based in the undergrounds of a church was also great showing examples of home made weapons and hand made badges.

Really an interesting yet sad piece of history that intend to do further reading on.
    I am assuming the uprising museum you vistited in Warsaw was the Muzeum Powstania Warszawskiego or The Warsaw Rising Museum which is about the Warsaw Uprising of 1944 and nothing to do with the Jewish Ghetto Uprising of April 1943!

Often the one uprising is confused with the other and was one of the reasons the trustees of the Muzeum Powstania Warszawskiego chose to use the word "Rising" rather than "Uprising" in its official description in order to differentiate the two distinct uprisings from each other...not always successfully it seems.

The museum displays are from the 1944 uprising including the homemade weapons, badges etc. Both uprisings were tragic events that should not be forgotten but for different reasons.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    Where exactly is the infamous leather bound pebble finished copy that Stroop had made for presentation to Himmler? Does it still exist?
    Three (slightly different) copies of the report were made, one for Himmler, one for Krüger and one for Stroop himself.

All three copies were recovered after the war; they are currently kept at the U.S. National Archives in Washington, D.C., the Federal German Bundesarchiv in Koblenz and the Institute of National Remembrance in Warsaw, respectively.

For the National Archives copy of the report online, see:
    National Archives of the United States - ARC Search Results: Details
    (You can find the full report under "digital copies".)

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    Three (slightly different) copies of the report were made, one for Himmler, one for Krüger and one for Stroop himself.

All three copies were recovered after the war; they are currently kept at the U.S. National Archives in Washington, D.C., the Federal German Bundesarchiv in Koblenz and the Institute of National Remembrance in Warsaw, respectively.

For the National Archives copy of the report online, see:
    National Archives of the United States - ARC Search Results: Details
    (You can find the full report under "digital copies".)
    Well done and thank you. The history of Europe would be nothing with its complexity and detail, which is why I love it.

Quote by 4thskorpion View Post
    I am assuming the uprising museum you vistited in Warsaw was the Muzeum Powstania Warszawskiego or The Warsaw Rising Museum which is about the Warsaw Uprising of 1944 and nothing to do with the Jewish Ghetto Uprising of April 1943!

Often the one uprising is confused with the other and was one of the reasons the trustees of the Muzeum Powstania Warszawskiego chose to use the word "Rising" rather than "Uprising" in its official description in order to differentiate the two distinct uprisings from each other...not always successfully it seems.

The museum displays are from the 1944 uprising including the homemade weapons, badges etc. Both uprisings were tragic events that should not be forgotten but for different reasons.
    My mistake sorry.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast