Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Totenkopf

Article about: by mabrgo Thanks a lot guys. The runes had me slightly worried too, as well as how crisp and clear the reverse markings are for being ~70 years old. Further question though: what is the most

?

Default Totenkopf

Hi. I'm a new member here. I was just wondering if I could get a few opinions as to whether this Totenkopf is real or fake. I can't find the production numbers anywhere else, which has me worried. Also, the seller claims it is made of a silver mixture (.9%), but I thought most of these pins were simply plated with silver. The coloration of the prongs seems genuine, but I am unsure. Any thoughts? Also, what is the most common material originals are made of?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Totenkopf   Totenkopf  

Totenkopf  
    Last edited by mabrgo; 06-19-2010 at 05:27 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Totenkopf
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Totenkopf

well....it has some of the right markings, however if you bought it from Poland off of ebay it is most likely 99% fake.

?

It's coming from a supposedly reputable seller. The price is another issue - how much would an authentic pin go for USD? The seller has it listed for about $200...

?

ya, sounds about right. ive seen them from 80-250 believe it or not. If it is a reputable seller, then i would say you have a really nice piece. I am not an expert like some on this site, but only a collector like many....but do know some about totenkopf and other ww2 greats. I lreally like it though. just be careful not to bend the "prong pins" on the back, since they wear out and break off easily.

Sorry Guys. It is a poor fake. Any deathshead cap badge with SS runes on the reverse will be bad. The markings, .900 silver content and contract code, 412/40, are complete fantasy.

These badges are expensive! You are looking at around $1000 for one.

Cheers, Ade.

No authentic skulls had SS runes embosed on the back.
    They only had manufacturers numbers, RZM's, Ges Gesch or unmarked.
    Best, Wolfslair

This one is very ugly, I wished that all fakes were that easy to spot.
    see the difference..
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Totenkopf   Totenkopf  

?

Thanks a lot guys. The runes had me slightly worried too, as well as how crisp and clear the reverse markings are for being ~70 years old. Further question though: what is the most abundant material these pins are made of? Is there any known and reputable sellers of authentic totenkopfs online? (I live in the middle of nowhere!)

Quote by mabrgo View Post
    Thanks a lot guys. The runes had me slightly worried too, as well as how crisp and clear the reverse markings are for being ~70 years old.
    Mabrgo, that can be a faulty mindset. A big give away for me that the badge you posted was fake was the softness of the front. Poorly cast fakes often lack the sharp and crisp detail of the real thing.
    Last edited by locloc08; 06-19-2010 at 11:23 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast