Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Totenkopf button

Article about: This type in having no marking is fine. It would, of course, have been worn on a grey SS-VT cap. I think I paid £8 for my example? I would dearly like a cap as shown. Cheers, Ade.

Default Re: Totenkopf button

This type in having no marking is fine. It would, of course, have been worn on a grey SS-VT cap. I think I paid £8 for my example?

I would dearly like a cap as shown.

Cheers, Ade.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Totenkopf button
    P
    Many

The dealer I got this one from had no idea............

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    Just the absence of any markings at all concerned me..............

Beautiful cap by the way, Friedrich ! !
    Dear Sir, sorry for the abruptness of my comment. Your SS VT badge is real, I think, and this species also was unmarked, I think.

My comment was as concerns the fetish of makers' marks generally on these sites as fully 40 to 50% of all posts.

Hritz and Bwanek are the champions of the cap badge league.

Thanks for the praise of my cap. It is a nice piece, but the pictures are better than the thing itself.

Agreed, far too much emphasis on makers.
    But if this is the real thing, it is a relief on many different levels !
    Value, history etc.

At least we know where some of these badges originated, but, yes, when it comes
    down to it, real vs fake is so much more important !

This is why so many fake items display makers marks - to appear legitimate ! !
    Unfortunately a lot insignia gets separated, and it is then all we have
    to work with.

I appreciate the comments.

Agreed, far too much emphasis on makers.
    But if this is the real thing, it is a relief on many different levels !
    Value, history etc.

At least we know where some of these badges originated, but, yes, when it comes
    down to it, real vs fake is so much more important !

This is why so many fake items display makers marks - to appear legitimate ! !
    Unfortunately a lot insignia gets separated, and it is then all we have
    to work with.

I appreciate the comments.
    Thanks for yours. I have posted on these sites since 2000 or 2001 and the manner in which the obsession with maker's marks on cap badges has crowded out a lot of other regalia is a source of irritation to me. I do think your grey badge is real, especially because Adrian S. is also a fine and informed expert. But at the same time, I have had the dubious pleasure of reading hundreds and thousands of words on the cap badge markings, and fail to find much value in same.

In the early period of these sites, one saw a lot of good stuff, a minimum of recrimination, and a steady expansion of the realm of knowledge. This expansion is no longer happening, I think, or is at best sporadic. Also, there are some staggering know it alls on other sites, especially in connection with these cap badges whose assertions of proof leave me totally cold----especially for the trained historian. Hence my peevish response.

Robert H had some images of authentic badges of this kind on his site; I also rely on the images of Peter Whammod, whom you surely know, as I do also on those of Peter Jenkins, Bill Shea, and Bruce Herman....these are the visual repositories connected with dealers that appeal to me, and perhaps I am prejudiced.

Happy collecting and please forgive my injudicious outburst.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Totenkopf button  

Sir, your eloquence is a joy to read !

I'll keep my little treasure, reassured it is "The real deal ! "

Sir, your eloquence is a joy to read !

I'll keep my little treasure, reassured it is "The real deal ! "
    Dear Colleague, thanks for the kind words, but I am prone to rants and raves that do no one any honor. I wish you good luck with your cap badges, especially if it was inexpensive. SS Verfuegungstruppe material is quite rare and desirable. It is a special love of mine. I own a few woolen pieces of same, black in textile, in fact.

Here is one of note.... I have some others, actually, but no illustrations of them. I am not sure who made the buttons on this piece, only that their date coincides with the dates on the tunic, i.e. 1937 which is somewhat early for this kind of thing. One would surely not want a 1937 dated tunic with 1939 dated buttons, of course.

Happy collecting and much good fortune at a sane price.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Totenkopf button  

Mint !

Beyond my reach today !

The gray, final pattern, button is original. It is correct to be unmarked. When the cap became available in feldgrau, the remaining stock of nickle and aluminum buttons were painted gray. That is the reason that some gray buttons are marked. The fiinal pattern, in feinzinc, were unmarked.

Bob Hritz

Thanks to the master of these things, whose post are always judicious and informed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast