Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Tunic Eagle.....

Article about: I'm assuming this is a fake...I've been reading the forum...and I am thinking that this is a 'turkey head' fake...?

Default Re: Tunic Eagle.....

Man...I'm looking at the two examples of the real deal...lots of differences...this is not going to be easy to remember it all ... lol

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Tunic Eagle.....
    P
    Many

?

Quote by SatansCabanaBoy View Post
    Man...I'm looking at the two examples of the real deal...lots of differences...this is not going to be easy to remember it all ... lol
    I love the officer's eagles. The fact that they are hand made adds to their appeal, but also makes it harder as there aren't as many "tells" as with a machine made item. The quality of the fakes is getting scary.

Real ones seem to be very hard to find these days.

I know it's rough being told something in your collection isn't good. But it sure can light a fire to not get burned again!

I hear ya Tricot. It's all a learning process. It pisses me off in a way, but I have a huge collection, and I think I am doing okay. After all..I learned ALL of this completely on my own until I came across this website one day.
    I'm here in the sticks in Canada and there isn't a lot of TR around. Sometimes I just want to take a chance when I buy something becasue it is very long spaces between seeing one thing, then another. I'd rather take a chance than miss out.
    Even finding research books on these subjects around here is sketchy. I may find something, but it' so basic, or pictures of just the fronts. There isnt the detail like someone saying..."look right there, that bit is what makes it a fake".

I've never been opposed to learning, so it takes a bit of the sting out of it when I think...hey, I'm just learning. It's slow going, but I just one guy and there are thousands of forgers out there, who have sold to unsuspecting dealers, or low moral con men. It's like fighting a battle of wits with all of them.

?

It is a battle of wits! It would be worth it for you to get to a couple major shows. Bring anything in your collection that raises doubts and show some trustworthy dealers. Get your hands on some real items and have the dealers explain what they look for.

Order the reference books. If you're collecting SS the Mollo book "Uniforms of the SS" is crucial.

If you have a large collection, it is worth it to "take the bullet" so to say and have it appraised by an established dealer.

Try and find another collector in your area who is serious about the study and research and join forces.

I wish there were more prosecutions of the fakers and fraudsters. Sadly it is up to the community to police itself. Good luck!

Quote by SatansCabanaBoy View Post
    I hear ya Tricot. It's all a learning process. It pisses me off in a way, but I have a huge collection, and I think I am doing okay. After all..I learned ALL of this completely on my own until I came across this website one day.
    I'm here in the sticks in Canada and there isn't a lot of TR around. Sometimes I just want to take a chance when I buy something becasue it is very long spaces between seeing one thing, then another. I'd rather take a chance than miss out.
    Even finding research books on these subjects around here is sketchy. I may find something, but it' so basic, or pictures of just the fronts. There isnt the detail like someone saying..."look right there, that bit is what makes it a fake".

I've never been opposed to learning, so it takes a bit of the sting out of it when I think...hey, I'm just learning. It's slow going, but I just one guy and there are thousands of forgers out there, who have sold to unsuspecting dealers, or low moral con men. It's like fighting a battle of wits with all of them.

I try to get to some shows near me, the Toronto Show is coming up.

Toronto Military Show

But, as you may have seen, this is not the best place to be buying cuff titles. I have bought 5 there over the years, and so far 4 of them are fakes. I am holding out for the last one...lol. I also notice that there is a lot of sellers at these gigs that offer help, then add..."Oh, I'm sorry, it's a fake, but I am willing to take it off your hands for (x) dollars".

Man, if that isn't a red flag....

In a way, I have been "taking a bullet" by posting here. I like posting here becasue these cats have absolutely nothing to gain or lose from telling me what I have...or don't have...as in the case of the aforementioned cuff titles. Also, by this being a little impersonal, I don't have to stand there and look like a moron for buying an obvious fake while someone explains it to me
    I get to read it over, look at examples and try to remember it all to do better the next time.

if there was an established dealer of credibility near me, I would gladly have them over for a single malt, and go through my collection. I am getting nervous about insurance on all of this now. The upside of making it known that you collect in a small town is you may find another that is genuinely interested in collecting history. The downside of letting it known what you do -in a small town- is everyone knows, and you are setting yourself up for a break in sooner or later...

..and thanks for the heads up on that author. I will try to find myself a copy. I looked for a bit, but not too hard on the forum (i get caught up in the pictures)...is there a section on reference books that is set up..?

...and I agree with you about the forgers. The worst part about a forgery is that it is a theft that keeps on thieving as it gets passed around longer.

ScB

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2