Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Types Materials for SS Visor Hats

Article about: Hello I start this thread because I need HELP with partition every materials for Visor Hats (now) which was used in 3R. I think that it will contribution for all, if help everyone who know.

Default re: Types Materials for SS Visor Hats

Milan12,
    Well done, a good idea for a thread.
    You can add the material "Velveton" to your glossary. A term found in period catalogues and documents. The most common pieces of headgear that feature this smooth, velvety material are the Woelfchemmuetze and the Kueckenmuetze for young members of the HJ and BDM.
    D'Alquen

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Types Materials for SS Visor Hats
    P
    Many

Yes, Milan, I am the guilty party who borrowed your idea for another forum, but as I said there, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!
    (However, this thread has a lot more info going back and forth).

Here is an A-SS officer visor with Trikot top--not rare, but uncommon (and would match the tunic):
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Types Materials for SS Visor Hats  

Here are two tunics to go with your hat....Saarbruecken and Aachen/Koeln/Bonn.

Like manure, knowledge does little good unless one spreads it.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Types Materials for SS Visor Hats  

Here are two hats for two tunics....the one on the left has a trikot cap cover, and the one on the right is made from the more standard Doeskin material one finds generally in these caps. The one on the left is a Sonderanfertigung from 1935 and the right is a normal model from 1939.

Happy Tuche und Stoffe.
    Attached Images Attached Images Types Materials for SS Visor Hats 

?

Not exactly a fabric related question but what about the kind of finish applied to the leather peaks of Alter Art caps?

I'm not altogether sure this answers the question but the term used in official documents, well SS anyway, is: 'Lacklederschirmen'. Literally, 'lacquered leather peaks'. I have posted the 1938 order from Himmler banning these but I can't remember for the life of me where. I will seek it out if others want it.
    D

Lackleder is akin to patent leather and also not unlike the finish applied to Pickelhauben. I have seen authentic SS peaked caps with regular leather peaks and the Lackleder variety. Colleague d'Alquen has wonderful early kepis and peaked caps with leather peaks, and, early NSDAP PL caps frequently had leather peaks. I enclose some images in no order....I am not sure that each of these counts as Lackleder, but maybe....thanks to Coleman, Jenkins and Whamond for these nice images...

Your comment on the unruly forum, dear Ben, on the gap between the peak and the Muetzenband on the Wolfe/Gottlieb/Maederer/Weitze site reveals to me a phenomenon I have seen in many of these caps with leather peaks and Lackleder treatment. The gap you see is not infrequent. Moreover, sometimes the peak is dislodged, because the leather peak eats the threads that secure it to the Muetzenband and the sweat band, too. Per saldo: I do not think the gap necessarily reveals it to be a re-made cap. Wolfe always had a lot of the Feldmuetzen alte Art. That is my first impression of the man in about 1974.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Types Materials for SS Visor Hats   Types Materials for SS Visor Hats  

Types Materials for SS Visor Hats   Types Materials for SS Visor Hats  

Somewhere I have the image of colleague Derek's order forbidding the leather peaks on SS caps. It is a nice document. Heini H did not follow his own order, either. I also own a wonderful Mueller army general staff peaked cap with a Lackleder Schirm, where the patent leather is still pretty bright, but I do not have an image of the piece to share with my friends here.

Happy headwear.

One of Jeff Clark's nice caps with a leather peak.

Here, I have found it. The implications of the order are interesting. As I work on my never to be finished, never to be published, study of SS hats I have not been able to able to find the motive for this type of directive.
    As price and economics can hardly have been an issue here three possiblities suggest themselves.
    One. The WVHA under Pohl was propelled by a desire for modernism in the production processes of SS and related industries. Thus, old-fashioned lacquered leather could have been forced aside in favour of vulcanfibre.
    Two. Some of Himmler's directives were purely commercial. The legal requirement for a bicycle lamp that was patented and made by an SS concern is another example. I am sure that in some recess of the RZM contracts were bought and sold as they have been since commerce came into being.
    Three. Pure fashion. Aluminium and plastic were the new currency of much design at the time. Leather was perhaps symbolic of military eras of the past and did not fit with the new political soldiery of the SS.
    I'm sure there are other and equally valid possibilities.
    D

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast