Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Types Materials for SS Visor Hats

Article about: Hello I start this thread because I need HELP with partition every materials for Visor Hats (now) which was used in 3R. I think that it will contribution for all, if help everyone who know.

Default re: Types Materials for SS Visor Hats

and a later variant, indeed, the type of cap that Himmler was banning, a Mueller cap from about 1937 with fake badges, but the cap itself is authentic. I examined this cap, in fact, after failing to buy it. You can see where the original Totenschaedel was placed. The thing had a dorky US tube in it, too. I also think this cap was in the Hayes book, actually. My sense is this was a tailor made cap, as it is much nicer than so many other Mueller SS officer caps I have seen. But it is not a Sonderanfertigung piece, either.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Types Materials for SS Visor Hats   Types Materials for SS Visor Hats  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Types Materials for SS Visor Hats
    P
    Many

Default re: Types Materials for SS Visor Hats

My final post for 5 XII on the theme of leather peaks in time and space.

From the Jeff Clark collection....

None of these caps seem much to be from after about 1938 or so...but this generalization is a wild guess. The badges on this Gau piece were updated, but the cap is earlier.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Types Materials for SS Visor Hats  

Default Re: Types Materials for SS Visor Hats

My leather-peaked Marine-HJ circa 1936 or so. (It does have a notch in the leather to line it up with the center of the hat.) F-B, you are correct, I do not recall seeing any leather visors on any Form IV Political visors, even for a Reichsleiter.

While this one doesn't really have it, most TR leather-peaks develop what we collectors call "melt-marks" in that the finish looks like it heated and cooled. This is contrary to the finishing process used on USAAF visors, which don't develop this trait and stay much more pliable over time.
    Not being a leather expert, but it could be due to some finishing laquer to make them seem glossy.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Types Materials for SS Visor Hats  

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    My final post for 5 XII on the theme of leather peaks in time and space.

From the Jeff Clark collection....

None of these caps seem much to be from after about 1938 or so...but this generalization is a wild guess. The badges on this Gau piece were updated, but the cap is earlier.
    I would agree, having handled the cap in question. Form 4's went to more of a darker red in 1939. Very common to see Form 3's updated to meet the new regs. Jeff's hat could be as early as 1936, but no earlier, as it is cut in the Wehrmachtschnitt.

Thank you. Your Marine Hitler Jugend cap is very nice. The lacquered visors have a coating not unlike asphalt in its own way. This is typical of spiked helmets of the old army and the Kaiserreich. They grow dull with time, and also develop these heat marks of one kind or another. Caps in the US forces in the second world war and thereafter have a much different treatment of the leather peak; such caps in my experience are also much heavier and robust than German caps for whatever reason. I worked in the US Army historical system for quite a while in the 1970s and 1980s and spent a lot of time with these things. My students also award me with caps when they graduate, so I have acquired quite a few of these things in separate channels.

Happy Headwear

Where is Milan, by the way? It is snowing in Moravia.

The interior of the interesting Gau cap from Weimar of J Clark above.

As I think colleague d'Alquen will attest, the prohibition on maker's marks in party regalia dates from 1935, but in my experience there are caps into 1936 or so that seem still to be so marked. And, who knows whether such a stricture was enforced in bespoke pieces, which this might be, granted its nice quality. The silken lining has gone the way of all earthly things, sadly.

There is no image of an RZM tag in this piece. Does anyone know what it is, if present at all?

Weimar is a wonderful place. Of course, it also had its own special history in the III. Reich, as many of you know with regards to Buchenwald. But there is also the interesting aspect of how the Nazis tried to enlist Goethe and Schiller in the Bewegung as well, which repays study. Shows that culture can be made a weapon of totalitarianism, too.

Happy Tuche und Stoffe.

Here from the other forum is an image of der Untergang in its most frightful finality. I have bad dreams about this sort of thing frequently. I am sure you do, too....that is, all Tuche und Stoffe sind vergaenglich....

I'm afraid I have managed to misplace the Hitler order prohibiting the use of logos by manufacturers somewhere within my teetering piles of paper. I would be indebted if anyone can steer me to the original citation again.
    The cap shown above offers us a view of vulcanfibre in its natural state before the addition of black or brown.
    D

Here is Vulcanfibre in another of its uses.
    Attached Images Attached Images Types Materials for SS Visor Hats 

I think we discussed this issue of the proscription of trade marks in the past and I made reference to the citation on this score in the 1974 Thomas Reid work on belt buckles. I think Reid and C.R. Davis collaborated in their respective works of the 1970s. Should not this directive of AH be in: the Reichsgesetzblatt? or in the Mitteilungsblaetter der RZM? I found that the Austrian National Library has the latter from 1938 through 1944 in case you are Vienna. The prohibition on trade marks went into effect at the end of March 1935. Reid cites an order from Hitler on the roles and missions of the RZM also from early to mid 1935. I assume all of this data is from the Mitteilungsblaetter d. RZM. It is a pity no one has made a CD or DVD of these publications.

The Herstellungsvorschriften d. RZM of 1936 also repeat the prohibition on trade marks, but we know that such was not always followed.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast