Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Ukrainian SS Uniform

Article about: Hi Mo, the SS was constantly in a state of flux. Himmler was much to blame. Cheers, Ade.

Default Re: Ukrainian SS Uniform

Hi Mo, the SS was constantly in a state of flux. Himmler was much to blame.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Ukrainian SS Uniform
    P
    Many

Sounds like your father was a lucky man to survive both the war and the witchhunts afterwards.

?

As for "racial purity" in the SS. I think they became "flexible" as times got hard. My father served in a German Waffen SS division even though he was an ethnic Ukrainian. They simply gave him a german name, problem solved. Alex

Quote by richard1962 View Post
    Thanks for every one who has replied to my post this is the first forum I have been on that people have taken the time to reply.
    The reason I asked was that I beleive that the man on the far left was my father i found out he was waffen ss after his death always being told that he was polish. The reason for him being polish was that after the war he was classed as a displaced person with no country to go home to. When he got to the uk he married my mother and around 1955 was given a choice to become Russian or Polish and I was told that there was no question that he would be russian.He would have been a young teenager when the russians commoted Holodomor on his Country. so polish was his choice he was Ukrainian by birth and my mum told me that he was an officer and she was sure that he was at least a lieutenant of some discription When I found the picture the caption that went with it was Graduates Of The Artillery Course In Beneshevo (czech )
    Thanks for your help guys much appreciated
    Ukraine didn't exist as nation in 1939 so ukrainians were either polish, czechoslovak, hungarian or russian. Once captured by the western allies, all claimed to be polish citizens as of 1939.

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    Foreign volunteers had the 'Waffen' prefix to their ranks instead of 'SS'?

The Flemish and walloon ss used the ss runes.

?

Ethnic Ukrainian does not mean A Ukrainian national, he was from Poland.I was simply stating a fact re foreign service in what would have been considered ethnically pure German Divisions.

This is
    Attached Images Attached Images Ukrainian SS Uniform  Ukrainian SS Uniform 

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2