Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Ulrich Graf, the early years and Hitlers old fighters

Article about: by Nigel Lesgate Thanks for that info....exactly what I was wondering. The mindset and hostility that permeated those post war years created a broad umbrella of the 'guilt by association' fa

Whilst looking through a series of shots of the 1936 parade that shows the "Old Fighters' forming up prior to marching to the Feldherrnhalle I noticed this one that shows that the start location was the same as the earlier picture posted by Nigel.
    d'Alquen
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ulrich Graf, the early years and Hitlers old fighters  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Ulrich Graf, the early years and Hitlers old fighters
    P
    Many

That spot is now a Hilton Hotel.

Ulrich Graf, the early years and Hitlers old fightersUlrich Graf, the early years and Hitlers old fighters
    Quote by Nigel Lesgate View Post
    That spot is now a Hilton Hotel.
    and a good one at that, I have stayed there several times, but there is no trace of the former glory, that's for sure. They have a very good breakfast buffet, too.

The Nazis rebuilt the Rosenheimerstrasse, made it wider, and then rebuilt the bridge over the Isar by the Deutsches Museum that leads into the old town, i.e. the path of the Putschists on 9 November. I have trod said path many, many times (not out ideological purity, mind you, but because that's how you go downtown as it were...). It is not really far from the locale of the Buergerbraeu to the Feldherrnhalle. Today there are many Nazi tours in Munich, replete with amusing fifteen year old girls with an intensely bored expression on their faces. When I first made it to Munich in 1969, there sure as darn were no Nazi tours, but the real article was still stalking around.

Ulrich Graf, the early years and Hitlers old fightersThere is no "old fighter" in this picture.

I haven't looked through all these old photos of the march to the Feldherrnhalle for years but in doing so I am reminded of one aspect of the uniforms that always intrigued me. It would appear from the scores of images that it was absolutely 'de rigeur' for all the 'Old Fighters', regardless of rank or present position, to wear the traditional brown uniform without a hat and yet there is Himmler sticking out like a sore thumb in his full black service uniform.
    d'Alquen
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ulrich Graf, the early years and Hitlers old fighters  

Graf next to the Fuhrer.
    My favorite Himmler shot is one of him 'trying' to throw a shot put...what a pathetic dufus.

To illustrate my admittedly rather arcane point here are two poor quality snaphots of Hitler and Schaub discarding their caps for the march.
    d'Alquen

- - ------- - -

Schaub tosses his Stosstrupp cap into the limousine.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ulrich Graf, the early years and Hitlers old fighters   Ulrich Graf, the early years and Hitlers old fighters  

Hitler speaking at the Burgerbraukeller where the Putsch originated in Nov. 1923. Ironically it was at this same podium that an assassination attempt was made a few years later. A bomb was placed in the column right behind Grimminger and the Blood Flag however, Hitler cut his speech short a few minutes early that day and left the hall. Minutes later the bomb detonated ripping the room apart and killing several people.

Quote by d'alquen View Post
    To illustrate my admittedly rather arcane point here are two poor quality snaphots of Hitler and Schaub discarding their caps for the march.
    d'Alquen

- - ------- - -

Schaub tosses his Stosstrupp cap into the limousine.
    So much for those 'Hitler' Mutzen....I do love the nice Mercedes in the foreground. And a shot of Graf behind Hitlers arm.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast