Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

An uncommon cuff title

Article about: SS X-RAY BATTALION, IN HAND EMBROIDERED ALUMINIUM THREAD. Interesting title, double tagged. Band made by rzm number a4/26, rossberg and schube, annaberg. (the town of annaberg was home to se

Could there be a rarer CT? Wonderful piece!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement An uncommon cuff title
    P
    Many

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    Adolf Hitler in block letters?

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    At the risk of splitting hairs, certain of the martyr Sturmbaender of the Allgemeine SS are more rare, at least in my experience.

This cuff title of Mr. Jenkins is compelling for people who are interested in the SS as a whole entity, in which its medical establishment was as radical, aggressive, and destructive as any other component of same. Especially I find this aspect equal to or more than the same old ripping yarns of Waffen SS personages, over hyped by the regime, and then more than over hyped by themselves in the FRG, and then over hyped by collectors, to boot.

See this work of note on this score, which is very persuasive.

General Simon: Lebensgeschichten eines SS-FÃ

As to SS doctors, and over educated people using research as a crime....

I am reading this book I got in Vienna in December:

Schöningh Wissenschaft: Himmlers Forscher

about medical research and the SS Ahnenerbe and the context of such infamous abuse of medical ethics in the service of racist idiocy.

Very impressive piece of work.

We do thank Peter Jenkins for sharing his item with our group versus another, as this group can appreciate, understand and add value to such items through collective effort.

Thank you Peter. Never even seen one of these before!

Superb!

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture An uncommon cuff title  

?

Default Title

Rare cuff title Peter, I think we both remember a certain author/collector finding another item related to this matter at a german show many years ago
    Cheers
    Gary

?

Peter, an awesomely rare CT.

Just when you think you have seen most (never all I suppose) of the TR units / departments something pops up to surprise you!

I had never even heard of this department let alone seen a cuff title. What a fantastic and surely very unusual item. How does one value such a piece beyond the phrase "collectors price"?

Thanks for showing (me anyway) something different!

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    This cuff title of Mr. Jenkins is compelling for people who are interested in the SS as a whole entity, in which its medical establishment was as radical, aggressive, and destructive as any other component of same.

[...]

As to SS doctors, and over educated people using research as a crime....

I am reading this book I got in Vienna in December:

Schöningh Wissenschaft: Himmlers Forscher

about medical research and the SS Ahnenerbe and the context of such infamous abuse of medical ethics in the service of racist idiocy.
    Important remarks when it comes to this particular formation.

Initially a unit of the Allgemeine SS directly subordinate to the SS-Hauptamt and subsequently transferred to the Waffen-SS in 1940, the SS-Röntgensturmbann's mission was to act as a mobile medical screening service whose component units conducted mass examinations in the war against tuberculosis.
    The initial priority subjects were SS members (the 1938 Reichsparteitag was used to screen some 10,000 SS participants at the SS-Lager there). The examinations were then spread throughout the Reich and the annexed territories; as an example some 650,000 inhabitants of Gau Mecklenburg were proceeded within a 4-month period. In wartime, the Röntgensturmbann was also involved in the medical entry exams for potential Waffen-SS recruits and in training medical personnel operating X-ray equipment. In order to carry out its vital mission, the unit was repeatedly enlarged and up-graded. (According to a January 1941 letter by Hans Jüttner, it was to be expanded from 250 men to 850 men.)

All of this sounds charitable enough at face value, but sure enough there was a dark side it all: The SS leadership soon realized the unit's potential for its own racial and political objectives. The mass examinations were well-suited to gather heaps of data on the whole population.
    While operating in annexed Polish territory, the Röntgensturmbann was employed to find and registrate TBC-suffering Poles in the Warthegau. It was intended to "euthanize" some 35,000 incurable cases, although this was apparently not implemented following the cancellation of the "T4" action.
    A large part of its wartime activities was also dedicated to examining forced laborers and concentration camp inmates. As an example, during the May/June 1944 period, 28,402 inmates of Buchenwald and 11,102 inmates of Dora were examined.
    The unit was also involved in the suppression of the Warsaw uprising, during which its commander, the highly renowned and distinguished radiologist Prof. Hans Holfelder was wounded.

Holfelder - who was KIA near Budapest on 15 Dec. 1944 - was very much a convinced Nazi, who endorsed the "final solution" and once remarked that it would me "more humane to kill children rather than have them live as Jews".

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast