MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Very Early Standartenfuhrer Collar Tabs

Article about: F-B's recent post of this portrait of Schreck shows what is probably the earliest form of tabs for Standartenfurer. They can be seen again in this portrait of Wilhelm Dreher. Both pics are c

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    When the moderators get a chance, this thread should be added to the pinned reference section, please.
    Done !!
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Very Early Standartenfuhrer Collar Tabs
    P
    Many

Arran,
    I finally tracked down for you the photo I mentioned earlier in the thread that points towards hand embroidery. It is another Hoffmann portrait from the same late 1933 period. The discrepancy between the two tabs was what drew me to it originally.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Very Early Standartenfuhrer Collar Tabs  

Very Early Standartenfuhrer Collar TabsVery Early Standartenfuhrer Collar Tabs
    Quote by Arran View Post
    Thank you ALL for participating in this thread. I now believe that both sets of tabs in the pics I posted are aluminum embroidered, and of the type shown in the upper left of Mr. Delich's lovely collection in post 11. This pattern of Standartenfuhrer's oak leaf is most appealing in its asymmetry and natural appearance, and I believe this thread is the first time its been clearly documented. Note also that it appears to be embroidered on wool rather than velvet (please correct me if I'm wrong).

".....When a fellow member mentioned that the very early
    oak leaf design as pictured in my attachments, was
    embroidered on wool, he was very correct. As soon as
    I sent the pic to you, I realized that I failed to mention
    this feature. It was my intention to go back and follow
    up my comments with this additional fact, but it was
    late, and I decided to do it later...."

- - ------- - -

Thanks to you all for your great skill as researchers and your generosity to the needs of others with such decades of experience.

Gives new meaning to the phrase..."Ihr werdet in Samt und Seide gehen...!"

Very Early Standartenfuhrer Collar TabsVery Early Standartenfuhrer Collar TabsVery Early Standartenfuhrer Collar TabsVery Early Standartenfuhrer Collar TabsVery Early Standartenfuhrer Collar Tabs
    Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    Gives new meaning to the phrase..."Ihr werdet in Samt und Seide gehen...!"

A little more digging brings additional information:
    the first form SA Standartenführer was said to be taken
    from Reichsbahn, which is correct. It was in the Assmann-
    cataloque specifically referred to as for Verwaltungs-Beamte
    (civil servant or official for an administration):

The early form leaf as mentioned for the SS, may have been copied
    from devices for the shooting-association (Schützen-Vereine).

In cataloques this type of leaf was not shown for them, but look at the
    drawings from a tailor's magazin. Remember designers-ideas did not
    come just "out-of-the-blue"!!:

Very Early Standartenfuhrer Collar Tabs Very Early Standartenfuhrer Collar Tabs

Just to inform you friends.............

Wim,
    Good detective work.
    It would seem that early oak leaf was a generic pattern as it was also worn by the DLV, as this photograph of Bauer from 1933 shows.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Very Early Standartenfuhrer Collar Tabs  

I will check it, d'Alquen, but it is not a regular insignia for the DLV, nor for the Deutsche Luftfahrt.
    It is not shown in the ranking systems ( do have various regulations for the both). Bauer did belong
    to the Reichsgruppe Lufthansa des DLV, as far as I know.
    I think he added the first pattern leaf to his patches, due to the fact he was a member of the SS. I know
    he became an SS-Oberführer September 9, 1934. When he was a Standartenführer I have to find out!

You bring up an interesting point Wim. I only have the later DLV ranks chart from 1936 I think, so I just presumed that they must have had an earlier configuration. According to my material I have him appointed to SS-Standartenfuehrer 05.04.1934 (mit Wirkung vom 14.10.1933). I will see if I have any other shots of him from the same period.

Bauer is wearing the uniform for Motorflieger for Deutsche Luftfahrt, which was announced
    November 4, 1933. As a pilot he should wear this granted uniform and not the ranking
    device, which is for the DLV (Segelflieger).
    I have shown the ranking system for Deutsche Luftfahrt before, somewhere at this forum,
    but I will show it here again:

As you see, you will not find the type of device amongst the ranking system here. As I said,
    he will have used the first pattern SS device, due to his Standartenführer rank. Remind he
    was "something" special!!

Bauer was a well-known pilot from the Deutsche Lufthansa, a very much appreciated
    employee!! September 10, 1933 he flew one million flight-kilometers for the Lufthansa.
    He was given a special token immediately after he had landed (at that moment he did wear
    the Lufthansa-dress). He was Hitler's pilot for quite a while (I thought since about 1932)
    and served in the so-called "Regierungsstaffel", which he arranged (1934). The best
    pilots for this special unit Bauer took from the Lufthansa.....The shown photo from Bauer
    by d'Alquen must be from about 1934.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast