Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Very Rare SS-Sanitats Arm Patch

Article about: It's been awhile since I posted to the forum. I thought I would start again with an extremely rare SS-Sanitats arm patch. I've owned three or four of the standard type used by the SA on thei

Very Rare SS-Sanitats Arm PatchVery Rare SS-Sanitats Arm Patchearly SS items with their own poetry.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Very Rare SS-Sanitats Arm Patch
    P
    Many

Very Rare SS-Sanitats Arm PatchVery Rare SS-Sanitats Arm PatchVery Rare SS-Sanitats Arm Patchof later date and not without relevance.

Very nice items FB and yes...very relevant for sure!

At this early time period, many SA uniform- and insignia regulations also applied to the SS, which was subordinate to it.

While I didn't find direct references to the patch with respect to the SS, it is mentioned in Cord von Einem's 1933 publication "Abzeichen und Dienstgrade der SA":

"S.A.-Männer und Unterführer, die dem Sanitätspersonal angehören, tragen am linken Oberarm den Sanitätsspiegel (Abb. 51)."

["SA men and NCOs belonging to the medical personnel wear on their left upper arm the medical patch (fig. 51)."]

...Figure 51 being an illustration of this patch:

There was also a patch with reversed colors (red cross on white), which is described in Freiherr von Eelking's 1934 work "Die Uniformen der Braunhemden" as follows:

"S.A.-Sanitätsführer ohne ärztliches Staatsexamen (vom Sanitäts-S.A.-Mann bis einschl. Sanitätssturmführer) tragen den Dienstanzug wie die gleichen Dienstgrade ihrer S.A.-Einheit, jedoch am linken Oberarm über der Armbinde in einem 8 1/2 cm Durchmesser großen weißen Kreis ein gleicharmiges rotes Kreuz, dessen Balken 25 mm breit und 70 mm lang sind (Genfer Kreuz)."

"S.A. medical officers without the state exam for physicians (from Sanitäts-S.A.-Mann up to and including S.A.-Sanitätssturmführer) wear the service dress as for the same ranks of their S.A. unit, but on their left upper arm above the brassard in a white circle of 8 1/2 centimeters diameter a red cross with arms of equal length, whose beams are 25 millimeters wide and 70 millimeters long (Geneva Cross)."

That patch in wear by an SS man as seen in a detail from a period photograph I own:

This would seem to imply that red-on-white cross replaced the earlier white-on-red one. However, Angolia and other references claim that they existed simultaneously and that the "red cross" patch represented a higher level of qualification than the "white cross" one, but this may be erroneous.

Maybe d'alquen has additional data on the matter. (I'm pretty sure he does, actually.)

Hope this helps anyway.

Bravo, Andreas!

Wow, very nice information and thank you for contributing to the thread. Also, nice photo! Yes, I personally believe both patches exited during the same time period. Also, you are correct in saying that many of the SS regs during this early time period co-existed with the SA. I would assume that after the Night of Long Knives, the SS became a separate organization and the later style patch would have been worn.

With an announcement in the Verordnungsblatt der Obersten SA-Führung, nr. 14 from August 1, 1933
    with number 25 it was said: Führung des Genfer Roten Kreuzes als Sanitätsabzeichen bei SA und SS
    (order V Nr. 841/33).

The introduction of the Genevan red cross had to do with an order from the Ministry of Interior from July 12, 1933 along with the Bavarian
    State Ministry of Interior from July 23, 1933 and was meant for members from the SA as well as SS Sanitätswesen in all over
    Germany, and when helping out the regular hospital orderlies (from the German Red Cross). With special occasions they were authorized
    to wear instead of the white cross upon a red backing, the Genevan cross, which was red, upon a white backing.

The patch had to be worn with the regular service dress by all Sanitätsmänner. The insignia was round and to be worn upon the left
    upper arm (so above the regular SA or SS armband). The use of it included in the order also upon flags for these units, pennants, posts and
    buildings and cars from the SA, and the SS. One should not that wearing was not allowed officially when not being service actually (on SA or
    SS orders).

It so can be possible this round patch could have a black edge for the SS, but this was not described. Angolia is not quite correct!

With the Anzugs-Ordnung für die SA from March 1, 1934 the text was as (of course here no SS was included):

For the SS all kinds of cufftitles were introduced (too much to list). Anyway for the SA the round red cross patch was abolished with
    orders from about June 1937 (Verordnungsblatt der OSAF, Nr,. 8 from June 7, 1937). With number 155 new insignia for medical SA
    personnel were arranged. It was literally said:
    Ab 15. Juni 1937 wird das Abzeichen des Roten Kreuzes von den Sanitätsführern und Mannern nur noch im öffentlichen Sanitäts-Dienst
    auf weisser Armbinde am linken Oberarm getragen. Der bisher getragene kreisrunde weisse Spiegel mit dem Abzeichen des Roten Kreuzes
    und der Rote Kreuz Spiegel auf den Sturmfahnen der Sanitäts-Stürme sind zum gleichen Zeitpunkt abzulegen
    Last edited by Wilhelm Saris; 09-05-2015 at 07:03 AM.

Thanks to you all for another poem of a thread!

The proprietors should pin this one and everyone should rejoice that we can learn so much and in such fine company.

- - ------- - -

You do have to wonder how many people spent how much time introducing insignia, then complaining about its improper wear, and then abolishing it in a hale of invective.

Wim's point about Angolia is well taken. We could begin a glossary of mistakes in Angolia thread to the elucidation of the membership.

Quote by mseagle View Post
    Wow, very nice information and thank you for contributing to the thread. Also, nice photo! Yes, I personally believe both patches exited during the same time period. Also, you are correct in saying that many of the SS regs during this early time period co-existed with the SA. I would assume that after the Night of Long Knives, the SS became a separate organization and the later style patch would have been worn.
    I aver to others, but if you read the material, the process of the SS distinguishing itself from the SA began before 30 June 1934.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast