Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

W-SS overseas cap insignia

Article about: Hi all, A very good friend of mine owns this side cap (overseas cap) for a Waffen-SS officer, and my friend (a long time SS paperwork collector and an attributed author, initials H P-T) is k

Default W-SS overseas cap insignia

Hi all,

A very good friend of mine owns this side cap (overseas cap) for a Waffen-SS officer, and my friend (a long time SS paperwork collector and an
    attributed author, initials H P-T) is keen to get some comments regarding the insignia on this cap, ie, wartime applied or post-war.

The cap itself has a fairly impeccable history, in that it was given to author and SS historian Jost W. Schneider, apparently by the original owner
    many years back, and Jost gave the cap to my friend HPT, who has had the cap now for many years too.

I think HPT is worried about the poor stitching especially around the eagle, but as the eagle is not a cap eagle, perhaps it was a field applied eagle,
    but I said that I would post HPT's scan (it is the only image I have, but can request more), and see what your learned opinions are....

Thanks

Bob
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture W-SS overseas cap insignia  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement W-SS overseas cap insignia
    P
    Many

Could of been applied in the field but it also could of been applied post war , I don't think there is a sure way of telling to be honest .

Have you blacklight tested the stitching ?

Hello Oz, yeah the stitching is correct for the period, the cap belongs to Hugh Page Taylor, he showed the cap to one of the local guys here in Melbourne last week
    and the collector here wasn't fond of the stitching, but you echo my comments, there really is no way to know for sure, but this cap has a fairly good pedigree, I think
    Hugh has a nice cap. (he is more into paperwork and only has a small cloth element to his collection).

Thanks for your comments.

Cheers

Bob

you got a nice cap there, in fact It is a armeagle stitched on the hat, and the skull is a very nice officer flatwire example.

To me looks like the skull was sewn on at the same time as the eagle , but as stated above i dont think you will ever know when it was sewn on the cap

It is impossible to know when it was applied...after the original owner sells it,it unfortunately loses its history and can never be verified..it will never have the monetary value of a more "together" example as its originality will always have to be argued

Thanks guys

Bob