Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

W-SS tunic in salty cond.

Article about: I would really like to see them, DDavies. Let me know when you get them in the mail. Late war items can get pretty controversial. I wonder how many other items have been deemed bad due to th

Quote by youthcollector1 View Post
    one must recall that most insignia on uniforms were constantly removed and then reapplied for cleaning purposes.
    I've never heard this, do you have some evidence to back this up? I can't imagine re-sewing collar tabs, sleeve eagles, CTs etc everytime the tunic was laundered.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement W-SS tunic in salty cond.
    P
    Many

Great item! congratulations!

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    I've never heard this, do you have some evidence to back this up? I can't imagine re-sewing collar tabs, sleeve eagles, CTs etc everytime the tunic was laundered.
    Sounds odd to me too - maybe they did in the early days but surely not on the battlefield.
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    From what I remember, it was more common with officers. I will look for it, it was posted here.

Considering the SA uniforms and the insignia I find which are attached to the uniform by buttons instead of thread, I don't find said theory hard to believe. I've seen BDM insignia that had detachable insignia for washing.

?

I remember reading a post the other day regarding the removal of tabs for cleaning, mostly for officers or maybe NCO's. It was a member from Italy, If I'm correct. Not saying mine was, in fact it's very soiled and doesn't look like it was ever cleaned! There's several possibilities as to why the rank tab was hand sewn. That doesn't mean it isn't real, or real, but applied post war. Why would someone remove the blank rank tab and not the rune tab then reapply it , or a different one? Many possibilities. This is a mystery we may never fully know. Ill take some more photos of it when I get the chance. I tried to get clear pics, but I noticed the lighting isn't so good. Ill try to improved my photography skills because good well lit photos makes a world of difference.

I found this, it is spoke of within post 52-53
    https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/ss-un...unic-193705-2/

I don't find the process which is being described unreasonable to believe one bit. Sure, in certain places in the field said process would be highly unlikely, but solider weren't always in the field. One must put themselves in the mind set of that era, too. Anyways, my point is, I dont see how its possible for so many people to scream reappiled insignia; not referring to this thread particularly, just from low quality pictures. For one, we are not sure how many times the insignia on these things were removed and then reapplied. And different circumstances could cause this, not just washing, but also promotions..... I know it's said far to much, but this is why a hands-on inspection will always be pertinent. Just look at the photos of the shoulder boards. In some pictures the piping is white as can be, while in others its quite dirty looking. This is just one example of how photographs can be deceptive.

I, too, wasn't saying this tunic had insignia removed for wash. I actually doubt it did. Just saying its not so easy to judge these things just from photographs considering the possible circumstances which may of ensued.

?

Yes! That's the thread I was thinking of. Not only promotions, but also demotions is another possibility. again, ill take better pics in a bit, so please bear with me here, fellas.Thanks,
    Dean.

Superb tunic dean!A dream of me!

?

Thanks Brabander and Matjaz! It was a dream of mine too. Not the minty one everyone wants but definetly one I can afford!

No used condition i like more because it has caracter.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast