Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

W-SS Tunic for a Sturmbannführer from Rgt Westland

Article about: One does not see original, untouched SS officer tunics come out of the woodwork much anymore, but here is one such example I had the pleasure of inspecting today:

?

A pleasure to see.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement W-SS Tunic for a Sturmbannführer from Rgt Westland
    P
    Many

Guys, here are better pics, taken by Jody.
    The boards are actually WH (not uncommon to find), and the cuff-title is an EM/NCO version (also not uncommon to find on an officer's tunic).

Jody knows the back-story to this tunic much better than I, so maybe he can pipe in here.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture W-SS Tunic for a Sturmbannführer from Rgt Westland   W-SS Tunic for a Sturmbannführer from Rgt Westland  

W-SS Tunic for a Sturmbannführer from Rgt Westland   W-SS Tunic for a Sturmbannführer from Rgt Westland  

W-SS Tunic for a Sturmbannführer from Rgt Westland   W-SS Tunic for a Sturmbannführer from Rgt Westland  

W-SS Tunic for a Sturmbannführer from Rgt Westland  
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

Interesting piece from an interesting regiment. Stonemint, do you by chance know who it belonged to?

Quote by Shadwellarmy View Post
    Interesting piece from an interesting regiment. Stonemint, do you by chance know who it belonged to?
    Mads--no, we do not know at this time, but the tunic was literally taken off the SS Officer upon surrender.
    As such, he had to be a battalion commander of the Westland at the time of surrender, so it could be narrowed down to at least three individuals (as I understand it).

?

And well decorated ....is there loops for a DK on the other pocket by any chance ?

Quote by Anzel View Post
    And well decorated ....is there loops for a DK on the other pocket by any chance ?
    Anzel--no, no loops for a DKiG, and no evidence of an RK. We are not sure what the fourth set of loops would be for at this time.

?

Hello,
    It is a great tunic and untouched (I got to see it in person the day after the item was obtained). It came from a veterans son. This item has been known about for some time and my friend has worked for years trying to get his hands on it. Right now the tunic belongs to no one and my friend is still trying to figure out an offer on the tunic. As of now the item is on loan to my friends collection for display.

I would like to add that when I posted this tunic on several other forums how many were quick to dismiss it. It proves to me how many collectors because of lack of knowledge and or jealousy are quick to voice an expert opinion on such an item.

As Stonemint can attest the piece is 100% good and unaltered piece. It really makes a great display.

It is something to see.

Jody

Stonemint & Jody, could he not had been with the Westland regimental staff?

I know that the commander of II/Westland was a Hstf. in April 45, dont know about the other battailons though, but towards the end of the war the ranks of commanders tended to be lower than usual.

Another possibility worth bearing in mind is that he was promoted to his final rank after his service with Westland:

SS personnel transferred to a unit or command that was not or not yet authorized a distinctive cuffband retained their former ones.

I guess the best way to find out is, if the veteran son by chance know the location where he surrendered.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast