Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Waffen-SS Artillery Officer Visor Hat

Article about: Well, to make a long story short, a friend introduced me to someone who had some German war souvenirs. I traded for everything he had, to include the following hat. It is very worn and used

?

Default Re: Waffen-SS Artillery Officer Visor Hat

The cap is here:
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Waffen-SS Artillery Officer Visor Hat
    P
    Many

?

I'm guessing F-B is preoccupied with his other life for the moment -sort of a Spiderman thing.

?

FB is spiderman? I was expecting someone a bit younger!

Back to the cap, there is always the possibility that it's an Imperial cap which is why you have to check for cockade holes and other little details. But as I said, I'm sure Bob would have done this already.

Quote by OKW View Post
    F.B where art thou?
    Dear hat fans, I was here in these pictures. That is to say, I was in the locale where this film was once made.

I was elsewhere in central Europe, too, in fact.

Bob Hirtz knows his way around regalia, so I am sure the suggestions that this cap is from the Kaiserreich are somewhat wide of the mark. Such doubts do adhere to other pieces. There is no single pattern of such field cap, is there?

PS while I am peculiar, I am not a cartoon character.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Waffen-SS Artillery Officer Visor Hat   Waffen-SS Artillery Officer Visor Hat  

I was here--a place unfrequented by action figures with funny suits. Some very famous people did come here often in the past, actually.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Waffen-SS Artillery Officer Visor Hat  

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    I was here--a place unfrequented by action figures with funny suits. Some very famous people did come here often in the past, actually.
    Somewhere on the New Market in Vienna?

I know the movie, but can't place the specific locale . . .

Quote by N.C. Wyeth View Post
    Somewhere on the New Market in Vienna?

I know the movie, but can't place the specific locale . . .
    Bravo, you are a man of taste and manners.

Cafe Sperl is in the Gumpfendorferstrasse in Vienna.

Some of the sewer scenes in the Third Man were filmed around the Karlsplatz, which is not far from same. Cafe Mozart is the cafe in the Third Man.
    It is too touristy.

Sperl was Hitler's favorite cafe, since it is not far from the academy of arts that turned him down.

The present owners do not advertise him among the illustrious clientele.

Happy hats, but happier things to eat and drink in said places.

I like Vienna, but seldom find any thing from the III. Reich there. It is in nooks and crannies not open to intruders from the outside like me.

Between Hitler sitting in the cafe and the events in the Third Man, this is how Vienna looked a decade earlier. than the film about tainted medicine and love of Czechoslovak women. Or Czech and or Slovak women. Where all these hats reside today, I cannot say. It all did not work out too well, really. For the Austrian SA and SS men, the white shirt was a badge of honor for having been an illegal member of said organizations in the years 1933-1938. One will recall that the Anschluss in the from it took in March 1938 was not planned ahead, really.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Waffen-SS Artillery Officer Visor Hat  

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    Cafe Sperl is in the Gumpfendorferstrasse in Vienna.

Some of the sewer scenes in the Third Man were filmed around the Karlsplatz, which is not far from same. Cafe Mozart is the cafe in the Third Man.
    It is too touristy.

Sperl was Hitler's favorite cafe, since it is not far from the academy of arts that turned him down.

The present owners do not advertise him among the illustrious clientele.

I like Vienna, but seldom find any thing from the III. Reich there. It is in nooks and crannies not open to intruders from the outside like me.
    Cafe Mozart is where I recall taking a coffee break while visiting Vienna all so briefly . . . wish I knew of Cafe Sperl - would have enjoyed it much better, I'm certain. Thanks for the tip! Some day when we return, I plan to see more of the academy of arts - very regretfully, I did not have the time on our first visit, as we were in a hurry to make it on to a much smaller destination just outside of Linz . . . a very sobering visit that quickly eliminated the buzz experienced from a few strong cups of morning coffee.

Quote by Bob Hritz View Post
    I traded for everything he had, to include the following hat.

The fellow collects guns and antiquer gun leather. I traded old western gun leather for his stuff.

Bob Hritz
    Bob,

You know your hats . . . if you ask me, I think you may have received the better end of this deal.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast