Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Waffen - SS Legion Volontarie WALLONIE Armband

Article about: by 4thskorpion Font design and typography is an area I enjoy studying There is an online font discovery tool and forum which is often very helpful as a starting place to identify fonts and f

Default Re: Waffen - SS Legion Volontarie WALLONIE Armband

Looks oddly "Wide" for an armband-like they were trying to put too many words on it....I don't have a real good feeling on it.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Waffen - SS Legion Volontarie WALLONIE Armband
    P
    Many

?

Never seen one like this before. Also, the "glow test" isn't 100% either. They could have simply found some pre 1945 cloth and thread, then stamped it. Only my humble opinion.

Although personally I am not in love with the item in question I do take issue with the increasing number of forum members who cry 'fake' based on nothing more than a guess and a lack of real knowledge.

Facts, evidence and research are the answers to true knowledge gentlemen.

With respect,
    Glenn

Which is precisely the reason that I did Not make a definitive pronouncement on the item-I merely said that I did not feel good about it-that it looked odd....
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by jHAM View Post
    Try and find a period photo of this in use. I believe this is a fantasy item and not a reproduction. Has anyone ever seen anything close to this in a period photo? I have not. If you like it then buy it. Good luck with your collection.
    Attachment 491911
    Maybe I didnt make myself clear on this topic,,,as everyone on this thread knows that there does not seem to exist period in wear photos...my question which I should of made more clearer was for Alech to go back to the original source and if possible to get closer pics of the cloth material the seem and stitching,,for the members here to view. Lets not trash an item until all the evidence is seen...it may very well be junk...lets prove it though for the collectors not in the same knowledgeable realm and new collectors.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Quote by AlecH View Post
    Gentlemen,
    Came across this Waffen - SS Legion Volontarie Wallonie Armband, its part of a general patches, shoulder broad convolute. I've ran the name through google and this forum although the unit certainly existed, I came up with very little and no armband. I shall be going to have a look at it after Easter, armed with my UV light. I ask members what do they think of it ? have they ever come across one before ? and what should I look out for ? At the moment I only have this picture. Any information welcome
    The font used for the words "Legion Volontarie Wallonie" is a version of Futura Condensed. Futura was designed by Paul Renner and commercially released in 1927-1930 by the Bauer Foundry in Germany. Futura was made available in six weights, a condensed font version in three weights, and an Inline font. I cannot find illustrations of the three weights of Futura condensed originally released by the the Bauer Foundry to compare against the version used on the armband. Because this font has been added to over the subsequent years by different foundaries and typographers is is very difficult to say which versions were original to the period unless one could find one of the original Bauer Foundry typebooks.

MY personal opinion is that "Legion Volontarie Wallonie" on the armband looks to be set in Futura demi-condensed rather than bold, book or light which are the most likely weights originally designed by Renner and therefore put the armband production post WWII ....need to find a pre-1950 Futura typebook and compare the fonts with that of the armband. Waffen-SS is not Futura though so will try and find out what it is if I can.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

That photo of the Pencil drawing of the Lady with the hat can be found here..( quoted) This little humor book was published by the "Voelkischer Beobachter" newspaper in late 1944 and features funny anecdotes, poems, and other humor from soldiers on all fronts, though especially soldiers on the Eastern Front. Which I included the link to the PDF on the left of the link page to view the actual photo used in the booklet. So yes this photo image was used during the TR period. Here is the link and the cover to the Booklet to which it is found. http://archive.org/details/LandserLa...rDiesesKrieges
    Attached Images Attached Images Waffen - SS Legion Volontarie WALLONIE Armband  Waffen - SS Legion Volontarie WALLONIE Armband 
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Err... well, maybe I am missing something here, but I don't think jHAM was referring to period photographic documentation of that pencil drawing, but of the armband.

(Apologies if the above post was meant ironically!)

By the way, for those wondering: The text in the cartoon is a transliteration of the Russian order "Hands up!"

4thskorpion's method of researching the date of the font's creation is an interesting and clever approach, and I'd say one which has been mostly overlooked in these matters.

(Of course, the only "problem" with it is that it can only be used for a negative, but not for a positive proof: If an item utilizes a font that did not exist up to 1945, it can't be of the period, but naturally, if the font did exist, it doesn't automatically mean the item is authentic.)

While I do not collect armbands and am thus hardly in the position to make a truly qualified statement on the authenticity of such items, do allow me one observation:

I think that with any undocumented/unknown cloth item, one should wonder whether it is plausible. When it comes to this armband, I actually don't think it is. It would make sense if the SS' Walloon Volunteer Legion had been raised locally and provisionally uniformed and equipped before being fully kitted out. However, the formation had existed within the Wehrmacht for nearly two years before being transferred to the Waffen-SS. I honestly can't see who would have worn that armband.

Like I said, just my two cents.

My intentions for everyone here are that, I am just trying to make a point for all those reading the thread that with research an answer can be found whether an item exists or not. Purposely I researched that "lady" photo..not just to authenticate the penciled drawing,,,AND NOT to prove anyone wrong. Too many times I have read posts with no explanation on the reason why,,...only answers such as..."No good" not for me..get your money back". This does not help the new users as I posted above. My intentions were written as.."look before we leap"..so to say..nothing more nor was it a personal attack towards JHAM.
    I dont even collect armbands but was driven to find an answer which I could not find with the Armband Alec posted...but was fortunate to find an answer to the drawing. Its all about the research first which gives answers to hard questions. Sorry..I am a teacher at heart,, and get carried away with the moment
    I will not interfere with this thread unless it derails off topic. Regards to everyone Larry

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast