Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

This Way Up!

Article about: by BenVK Much of the thanks to all our research must go to FB and Wilhelm Saris, I don't know of many others who have the studied the era to such an extent but still are so generous in shari

?

Default This Way Up!

What on earth is this arrow all about?

Franz Breithaupt (8 December 1880 - 29 April 1945)
    SS-Obergruppenführer und General der Waffen-SS (20 April 1944)
    SS-Gruppenführer und Generalleutnant der Waffen-SS (15 August 1942)
    SS-Brigadeführer und Generalmajor der Waffen-SS (9 November 1938)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture This Way Up!   This Way Up!  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement This Way Up!
    P
    Many

Default Re: This Way Up!

Hi Ben

Its the Tyr-Rune Arm-badge for SA,SS officer candidates and NSKK leaders who have sucessfully passed through the Reichs-Führerschule in Munich

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

bnz
    ?

I love this Tyr Rune insignia design

From wikipedia.org:

Rune:
    Name: Tyr
    Meaning: Leadership in battle
    Comments: The Tyr rune followed the design of the ᛏ or Tiwaz rune, named after Týr, the god of single combat, victory and heroic glory in Norse mythology. Its association with war meant that the SS thought of it as the "Kampf" or battle rune, symbolising military leadership. The SS commonly used it in place of the Christian cross on the grave markers of its members. It was also used by graduates of the SA Reichsführerschule, which trained SS officers until 1934; they wore it on their upper left arms. It was adopted as an emblem by the 32nd SS Volunteer Grenadier Division 30 Januar, which was assembled from the members of SS schools in January 1945, as well as by the SS Recruitment and Training Department[12]

more:
    https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/non-c...ia-rare-15689/

?

I thank and hate you guys in equal measure because now I have to study something else that I've never been aware of before!

Quote by BenVK View Post
    I thank and hate you guys in equal measure because now I have to study something else that I've never been aware of before!
    Ha! Ha! I only refered to my 'Badges & Insignia of the Third Reich' by Brian L Davis..a bible for me

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Mr. d'Alquen can tell us, but this SA leadership school was then superseded by such schools in their number in the SS.
    When Roehm took the hand the second time in the build up of the SA (...and the SS) he created a training base of some size, of which this school was a part. And, to be sure, the SS was part of the SA until Roehm was done in in June 1934.
    What is intriguing from the primary sources is the degree to which in the regalia game, the SS tried to separate itself from the other branches and division of the NSDAP even prior to 30 June 1934.

?

This is why I find the study of the TR and the SS in particular so fascinating yet so demanding. It's incredibly complex with so many facets. There just isn't enough time in the day to become familiar with it all.

This Way Up!This Way Up!This Way Up!This Way Up!This Way Up!
    Quote by BenVK View Post
    This is why I find the study of the TR and the SS in particular so fascinating yet so demanding. It's incredibly complex with so many facets. There just isn't enough time in the day to become familiar with it all.
    If things were too easy, we would become bored. Ben does well to pose all the questions, as this site aspires to educate collectors, and we have a lot of young people who have signed up for the serial confusion.

This Way Up!He is always sneering at us because of all of this.

I hate to beat a dead horse, as it were, but Mollo lays all of this out as clearly as anyone, with his emphasis on the chronological evolution of the SS as an organization, in which he joins this story with the uniform.
    The color picture books take items of uniform as a point of departure, and the result is totally chaotic in my opinion.
    As concerns websites and good ole Wiki what ever, the latter is just lifted straight from Mollo or the books that lifted from Mollo, which is more the case, since Mollo was the pioneer.
    The profusion of such sites is uncontrolled and the quality control in same is pretty lame, too, with some exceptions.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast