Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wet woolens shall become foetid

Article about: by Friedrich-Berthold Attachment 277156Attachment 277157Attachment 277158Attachment 277159Attachment 277160Attachment 277161Attachment 277162Attachment 277163Attachment 277164Attachment 2771

Default Wet woolens shall become foetid

Berlin had a cold climate in its time, though now it has changed with the Klimawandel. Sperrdienst in the SS meant enduring the weather. This is the 1 May 1935 celebration of the day of German labor. A scene like this will break the heart of the collector who insists upon regalia straight from the craftsman's work room.
    Attached Images Attached Images Wet woolens shall become foetid 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Wet woolens shall become foetid
    P
    Many

Default Re: Wet woolens shall become foetid

Having worn a visor hat, for a number of years, I can testify that it takes some effort to care and properly maintain headgesr. Here is my old police department hat, which saw the inclement weather of Chicago, for many years. Other than light fading, to the top, the hat has remained in respectable condition.

I would believe that the Germans, who had lived through economic condition of great strain, would have been equally cognizant of the cost or replacing neglected headgear and uniforma.

Bob Hritz
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Wet woolens shall become foetid   Wet woolens shall become foetid  

Thank you, colleague, an important addendum to our inquiry here. Germans of the era were thrifty and tidy, to be sure. In many cases with the Allgem. SS one finds an older cap (1935 or so...) seems to have been THE cap for certain members, granted my empirical findings.

Today we are accustomed to buying and disposing of things at a great rate, and of very cheap textiles in many cases.

I have a kind of HJ Muetze knock off that I bought at a late summer fair in Bonn-Beuel in 1974 (which I have worn since...) which looks worse for wear than your police cover. I do not have a picture of my cap. These US peaked caps of blessed memory were well made things, to be sure.

Wet woolens shall become foetidWet woolens shall become foetidWet woolens shall become foetidWet woolens shall become foetidWet woolens shall become foetidWet woolens shall become foetidWet woolens shall become foetidfoetid....

Wet woolens shall become foetidWet woolens shall become foetidWet woolens shall become foetidWet woolens shall become foetidWet woolens shall become foetidWet woolens shall become foetidWet woolens shall become foetidWet woolens shall become foetidWet woolens shall become foetidWet woolens shall become foetidWet woolens shall become foetidWet woolens shall become foetidFor Stinschen, more images of that which is hopelessly and forever foetid. And was the property of a ferocious SS man with a fairly 08/15 name

Standarte 32 was HQd more or less in Heidelberg, while Schulz lived in Schwetzingen and got his uniformed tailored in Karlsruhe, which as capital of Baden likely had better military tailors than the city of students. Though said place also had a garrison, to be sure.

The person in question was the final commander of the Standarte in the final phase of the war, but one hardly knows what that really meant in concrete terms.

His career was a fairly 08/15 Allgemeine SS career, not swerving into the other branches either as a warrior on the inner front or in the Waffen SS covered with garlands.

The uniform is interesting not the least because it is tailored with an RZM tag, which one does not always see, and the tag is not an SS one, but the more general one sometimes found in tailored items.

I have not checked in the RZM Handbook to see if the RZM license matches the tailor. I assume it does. The uniform is without any questions as to badges, etc.

He also did command the III Sturmbann of this Standarte at the time the uniform was tailored, which gives a further hint of such use of the Roman numeral cuff title, which most in the wider world associated with membership in the staff of an SS Abschnitt.

Wet woolens shall become foetidWet woolens shall become foetidWet woolens shall become foetidWet woolens shall become foetidWet woolens shall become foetid

?

Bravo! I do like this piece very much. I wonder how many have the skill to research the history associated with this Montur and then take the time to share said information. Thank you, F-B.

CMH

Wet woolens shall become foetidWet woolens shall become foetidWet woolens shall become foetidWet woolens shall become foetidWet woolens shall become foetidWet woolens shall become foetidWet woolens shall become foetidWet woolens shall become foetidWet woolens shall become foetidWet woolens shall become foetidWet woolens shall become foetidWet woolens shall become foetidWet woolens shall become foetidWet woolens shall become foetidWet woolens shall become foetidWet woolens shall become foetidWet woolens shall become foetidWet woolens shall become foetidWet woolens shall become foetidWet woolens shall become foetidWet woolens shall become foetidWet woolens shall become foetidWet woolens shall become foetidWet woolens shall become foetidWet woolens shall become foetidWet woolens shall become foetidWet woolens shall become foetid
    Quote by DrCMH View Post
    Bravo! I do like this piece very much. I wonder how many have the skill to research the history associated with this Montur and then take the time to share said information. Thank you, F-B.

CMH
    Thank you. I did not do the research, truth be told, others did same, although the sum of said research was not impressive other than to get the personnel file from the US NARA.
    The extracts from the Dienstalterlisten are not especially revealing, but the man's Stammrollenkarte as well as his Rasse und Siedlungshauptamt file is interesting, but not earth shattering.
    Most of these uniforms of mine are unnamed, while some are named, surely. I do not care all that much and never have, actually, since I spend too much time in Germany and know how sensitive and problematic all of this is were someone to burst into the room an announce that Emil Schluz's grand dad in Schwetzingen was an SS Obersturmbannfuehrer. I spent too much time there while these people were still alive to crow about such things.

The uniform is interesting, as are all of them, really, when they are intact, organic and not gebastelt as my friends in Wien say, i.e. not put together.

This is an intact and authentic uniform for what is a fairly senior rank.

However, the man was not a Knight's Cross winner, though I am sure he was involved in bad things of one sort of another....

One could do much more research about him, but the so called collector research services really offer a very paltry result versus what is possible with a concerted and informed effort, which for a non German would be very, very costly.

Happy foetid woolens, and may all Emil Schulz's at all points of the compass rest easy that FB will not announce said fact in the Heidelberger Nachrichten.

For instance, when all the male Jews were arrested and sent to camps from Baden Baden in November 1938, it was just such Allgemeine SS men who oversaw the pogrom, and I assume that this man had something to do with same, granted the relative proximity of Karlsruhe to Baden Baden.

?

Thank you F-B for offering more info on your Standarte 32 uniform. I have lost all interest in grey and now pursue knowledge on the black uniforms only. Due mainly to your influence. Your collection and your guidance is first class. In contrast to the photo that started this thread here we see the grinning ghoul in a warmer and sunny clime. Wet woolens shall become foetidWet woolens shall become foetidWet woolens shall become foetidWet woolens shall become foetidWet woolens shall become foetidWet woolens shall become foetid

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast