Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

What defines an "early" SS cap?

Article about: see above. a.) badges? b.) date, if then, what date? c.) other, if then, what other? d.) when is "early" something else, as in "middle wise" or "late." I am int

Default What defines an "early" SS cap?

What defines an "early" SS cap?What defines an "early" SS cap?What defines an "early" SS cap?What defines an "early" SS cap?What defines an "early" SS cap?see above.

a.) badges?

b.) date, if then, what date?

c.) other, if then, what other?

d.) when is "early" something else, as in "middle wise" or "late."

I am interested in how persons determine early from late, as I have my own criteria, but am interested in the range of perception of time, especially since this issue arose with the thread on Ulrich Graf.

Plainly the cosmos of collectors sees the Nazi years in their totality in different chapters, which interest me.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement What defines an "early" SS cap?
    P
    Many

To me its the particular era and the items linked to it. Characterized by prevailing military regulations/directives ie: style (which could be subject to personal affectations), fabrication, and hardware of the period that complied. I'm a buff of the early period and perhaps, in another thread, you could give a tutorial on the early caps with an under the hood view so to speak.

Quote by Nigel Lesgate View Post
    To me its the particular era and the items linked to it. Characterized by prevailing military regulations/directives ie: style (which could be subject to personal affectations), fabrication, and hardware of the period that complied. I'm a buff of the early period and perhaps, in another thread, you could give a tutorial on the early caps with an under the hood view so to speak.
    Thank you. You would not place a date on such a thing, then?

I have given many tutorials on what I deem to be early caps, but such terms are so linked to a different meaning, it is hard to know.

Your Ulrich Graf thread made me think of this fact, since, for the Nazis, their development had a very distinct periodization.

Thanks for your answer.

Cap devices and materials used. Regards Larry

peak styles and crusher springs?
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

For me, it would determine what someone means when they say "early." For me, early would mean from the time of the formation of the SS up until Hitler took power. I would judge this by the shape of the hat, which at the time was likely teller form. I would also not expect to find any RZM markings in the cap. Insignia was changed several time so judgement of a hat just by early insignia is not always a definite determination. You can find an early cap with the last pattern national emblem and totenkopf.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

I'm with Bob. Sorry, blown out tired from a long day at work, that's the best I can offer tonight.

Quote by Nigel Lesgate View Post
    Indeed era would imply the dates beginning with the actual formation of the SS and then various stages of development-- lets say the lean years to the coming into power years with Hitler at the helm. The progression seen from basically WWI surplus (and its style) to the new products of the new regime that embodied Deutschland Erwache ca.1933.

Thank you for your thoughtful replies. When I get a chance, I will offer my own theories.

I have no wish to standardize all of this or to impose an arbitrary schema on something that is inherent chaotic.

I collect black peaked caps of especially the epoch 1932 until about 1936 or so, but whether these are really "early" or not is another matter.

As Mr. Lesgate notes, the SS came into existence more or less in 1925, with its predecessor organizations in the epoch of 1919-1923/4. What for me might be a middling cap is for another an early cap, and my caps may not really be early at all.

A ten year bracket literally takes you through an amazing array of caps....say 1925 to 1935. To generalize, I like the caps with M29 eagles and various jawless skulls that are of a small profile...maybe to include tellerforms with crown springs removed for a more jaunty appearance. Saris Vol. IV has some wonderful examples to illustrate the chronology....I'm sure you're familiar. No doubt from a sartorial view the SS were inspired by the old Leib Hussars who epitomized elegance in black.

What defines an "early" SS cap?This, for instance, is surely an early SS cap, that is for an officer, but it is from 1934 ( I think), which is perhaps not so early in the whole history of the SS.....

But, the officer corps of the SS at the time this cap was made was still really quite small, from around 3,000 to 4,000 persons.....!

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast