Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

What defines an "early" SS cap?

Article about: see above. a.) badges? b.) date, if then, what date? c.) other, if then, what other? d.) when is "early" something else, as in "middle wise" or "late." I am int

?

I would echo Bob's line of thought, though, with the addition of the observation that the quality of textile tended to decline within the period. This is hardly my own observation, as FB has written of this previously, but it is a valid one.

This...

Appears of better quality compared to

this...

Each have their own beauty and are a heck of a lot better than what the Gauner tries to trick us with.

The first cap is the "earliest" I currently have in my possession. Of note, the first is a regular EM/NCO cap that was eventually upgraded to that of an an officer's version. The second is a Sonderanfertigung, thus knowing this, a comparison of the two may put this observation in better perspective. Others here will be able to speak of the earlier and better quality textiles with greater authority.

CMH

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement What defines an "early" SS cap?
    P
    Many

Very nice images. The Trikot cap became generalized in the course of 1935. All the Sonderanfertigung caps I own are of better quality than the normal type.

However, all such details so described here are very helpful. Dr. CMH's collection is a great pillar of this site.

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    Very nice images. The Trikot cap became generalized in the course of 1935. All the Sonderanfertigung caps I own are of better quality than the normal type.

However, all such details so described here are very helpful. Dr. CMH's collection is a great pillar of this site.
    The trikot caps were beauties and toughly built as well. But the change to 2nd pat insig puts it out of what I look for as early....FB's cap might be the cut off line for me personally. The great Riefenstahl film "Triumph of the Will" is an interesting composite for this period of change as it splices 2 years, '34-35, into one film. She had to reshoot, after they snuffed Roehm, so that it featured Lutze, and so it gives us a terrific look at this flux period in hats and helmets too.

Love this little cap!.....what I'd hunt for someday.

?

I know F-B has an early EM's cap that I used to own which is very much like that above-pictured. I'd date it to 1933, no later than '34. Note that prior to this, kepis were worn rather than peaked caps...

What defines an "early" SS cap?Mr. Arran has made it possible for me to own some wonderful caps, among which is this one:

It has none of the mid 1934 RFSS marks that introduced a uniform "uniform" about at the time that Himmler and Heydrich knocked off their boss, Roehm, and the leading grandees of the SA.

I would characterize this item as an "early" cap.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 12-18-2013 at 03:28 AM.

That's a looker Friedrich! Can you post its insides?

What defines an "early" SS cap?What defines an "early" SS cap?What defines an "early" SS cap?
    Quote by Nigel Lesgate View Post
    That's a looker Friedrich! Can you post its insides?
    Voila. It is a nicely made cap, whose date is or is not prior to the standardization of said caps in 1934. This cap was Mr. Arran's, and I thank him for the chance to own such a nice piece.
    When I sell my collection, you can buy it.

To be sure, the Shea Beaver book as well as the Saris book include caps of much earlier and more critical date than what I have included.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast