Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

What defines an "early" SS cap?

Article about: see above. a.) badges? b.) date, if then, what date? c.) other, if then, what other? d.) when is "early" something else, as in "middle wise" or "late." I am int

What defines an "early" SS cap?In some cases, the tag had the number of the cap maker, the retail outlet, the party and or SS number of the owner as well as the serial number of the tag itself.
    This subtle fact is poorly grasped by many fakers and many collectors, which shows the urgent need for acute knowledge with this complicated material.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 12-23-2013 at 02:55 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement What defines an "early" SS cap?
    P
    Many

What defines an "early" SS cap?What defines an "early" SS cap?What defines an "early" SS cap?At a certain point in 1936 or 1937 or 1938, the white tags in their variety were replaced by the black tag with the white lettering. The variant on the left is the first, I believe, followed by the one on the right, and these no longer are what I consider to be 'early' SS caps. Others, however, for whom early is "black" and late is "field grey" will see this periodization differently than I, but so there.

What defines an "early" SS cap?What defines an "early" SS cap?What defines an "early" SS cap?My wild guess is that this brown tag was the first used in black SS caps, but I might be quite wrong. No one here has put forward another theory.

Your brown tag bears no mention of "SS" per se....? Subsequent tags I think said SS and what type of cap ie: Dienstmutze, Tuchmutze, Feldmutze........

What defines an "early" SS cap?What defines an "early" SS cap?What defines an "early" SS cap?What defines an "early" SS cap?I repeat: what most associate as being an "SS tag" was only introduced in November 1934. Do look closely at all the material I have enclosed.
    The brown tags are found in items of somewhat earlier date and are otherwise, more or less, identical to such tags as found in NSDAP PL and or SA caps of the same epoch.
    Trust me, kiddo, I have put fifty years into this arcane search and the expenditure of close to one million dollars US.

One of the other hobby horses of mine is the idea of a "pre RZM" cap, which obtains only in the cases of items made before 1928. The RZM existed either in its pre form in the SA but then in the NSDAP itself at a very early date. What eventuated over time was the generalized attempt to standardize items of uniform, to combat the lack of uniformity, cut the expense, and to increase the What defines an "early" SS cap?quality and such had long been an issue with the leadership. Here is Eberhard Assmann of the family from Luedenscheid, whom Goebbels entrusted, in the latter's role as the new Gauleiter of Berlin in the middle 1920s, to construct a retail and quartermaster system in Berlin and then in the region. He was a major profiteer of the Nazi conquest of the Berlin textile trade, with its anti Jewish campaign. But such was of a very early date. At what date, but by the end of 1934 unfolded the requirement to mark items of NSDAP regalia.

What defines an "early" SS cap?What defines an "early" SS cap?What defines an "early" SS cap?What defines an "early" SS cap?What defines an "early" SS cap?Elsewhere the idea obtains that the RZM was created in 1934. This 1937 article from the UM describes Assmann's own version of the Kampfzeit.
    Whether it is all factual is another question, surely, but this is a primary source---superior, I think, to much gun show legend and collector lore, especially proffered by those who cannot ask: "where is the train station?" in the native language of Hannover.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 12-22-2013 at 10:46 PM.

What defines an "early" SS cap?What defines an "early" SS cap?Here is a 1933 ad from Peek and Cloppenburg for SA and SS and Stahlhelm uniforms. But did these things have tags in them at said date? Did Peek Cloppenburg make these all themselves, or did they carry the wares of others licensed by the RZM?

This firm is still in business, and I buy a lot of clothes from them, but with out RZM license tags and surely without any swastika.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 12-23-2013 at 02:52 AM.

Kinda like Brooks Brothers Friedrich....they even have a version of their fleece logo that looks Skull & Bones!

Quote by Nigel Lesgate View Post
    Kinda like Brooks Brothers Friedrich....they even have a version of their fleece logo that looks Skull & Bones!
    I had not made that association, truth be told.

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast